Introduce Yourself Thread!

jcsnider

Hi! Alatar here. I'm a 27-year-old programmer from Argentina. It's been a really long time since I visited the 2d-rpg-mmorpg community, but i've been on Eclipse and several other websites a long time ago. Some even may recall a Quest System that I made 6 or 7 years ago that were used by quite a few games and engines back then. I won't even look at its code now as i'm sure its pretty dated haha.

But you know I got the nostalgic attack yesterday and spent this last few hours checking old files/projects and visiting this and several other forums (I guess the community kind of split apart?). I'm thinking on re-starting a project from back then and I was looking with interest the open source .NET engines, specially Orion. Anyways I'm happy to be here, and happy to see that this engines are still going as they're the reason why I started to code.

:)

1 hour ago, Alatar said:

Hi! Alatar here. I'm a 27-year-old programmer from Argentina. It's been a really long time since I visited the 2d-rpg-mmorpg community, but i've been on Eclipse and several other websites a long time ago. Some even may recall a Quest System that I made 6 or 7 years ago that were used by quite a few games and engines back then. I won't even look at its code now as i'm sure its pretty dated haha.

But you know I got the nostalgic attack yesterday and spent this last few hours checking old files/projects and visiting this and several other forums (I guess the community kind of split apart?). I'm thinking on re-starting a project from back then and I was looking with interest the open source .NET engines, specially Orion. Anyways I'm happy to be here, and happy to see that this engines are still going as they're the reason why I started to code.

Good to see you around again my man.

1 hour ago, Alatar said:

OMG dude it's great to see you!   I remember your quest system very well actually, it was game changing back in the day! I'm glad you found us! 

7 hours ago, SkywardRiver said:

Good to see you around again my man.

7 hours ago, jcsnider said:

OMG dude it's great to see you!   I remember your quest system very well actually, it was game changing back in the day! I'm glad you found us! 

1 hour ago, Damian666 said:

wow, never thought I would see you again alatar :)

welcome ^.^

Thanks to all! And actually i'm the surprised one, i never thought my name could still ring a bell here haha. 

36 minutes ago, Damian666 said:

that's what ya get when you release a quest system that's still being used, well parts of it anyway :P

Really? lol. In that case I guess that the concept behind it was interesting enough to overcome its coding  :P

By the way your Orion+ engine looks really interesting. I'm checking it now and the fact that its in VB.net with SFML and its also opensource is really good. Amazing work on it man.

On the other hand, @jcsnider, Intersect has a ton of potential and I see that you've been working on it constantly for a long time now. Kudos to you sir! Was it build from scratch?

I have to relearn a lot of things, 7+ years feel like forever now haha

I'm a veteran of pen and paper roleplaying from Germany, 49 years old.

I had been running a Neverwinter Nights PW-server for almost ten years, hosting, building, modding, scripting and all the while trying to tell interesting stories.

Due to the recent attempt to re-monetize NWN by the new publisher I was looking for an alternative and stumbled into Intersect Game Engine.

It shows great potential and the devs seem to work hard to improve further.

I am now getting used to the editor and trying to find out whether the event system will allow complex storytelling and dialogues.

Cheers,

U.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to make a game so now im here.

Never introduced myself so here goes. 

I am from the Seattle area, 28 years old and work in the cannabis industry. 

I play video games. I wanted to make one, and then I found this forum after checking out a lot of engines. 

So.. Hi!

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

As I hope to become a part of this community over the near future I'm going to try and post a half-decent introduction thread, so you know a bit about my background and why I'm here along with my future plans! I'm sorry if its a bit long-winded! 

I've been thinking about running an RPG for a while now as I used to run a Runescape private server and loved the community that joined my server, I'd love to do it as a full-time job one day (We can dream).

My non-profit support group - Lets Talk North East

I currently run a non-profit support group for people dealing with mental health issues or suicidal thoughts and depression. The group is called LetsTalkNorthEast (Ignore the name it started off locally but we have people come and have a chat from all over the world on it now). I made this site due to losing 4 friends over the period of 2 years to suicide, no one should have to deal with these kinds of problems alone and I really want to be there to support people in need. 

Unfortunately the site was down over Xmas due to financial problems and me not being to pay for hosting and such (Having kids is expensive!) but it's back up and running now ( www.letstalknortheast.com and .co.uk ) I was offered a donation by a few people but I don't want to take donations from people a I believe it takes away a lot of the feel of the group and I like people to know I'm there to help and not to make profit from the group, Everything is paid for by myself such as hosting /flyers/banners etc (Got 30,000 flyers sitting here for the relaunch!) I'm hoping to have a re-launch at the end of the month.

The Family

I currently live with my Fiance of 9 years along with our two boys Jamie (8) and Joshua (7 on Sunday). They're both little gamers and Jamie already has a great little dual screen gaming setup. He likes playing the likes of Minecraft and Joshua enjoy's playing Roblox. The Mrs and I Love to find an MMO to get our teeth into and we can get pretty competitive! I'd love to learn some coding language and really get Jamie onto the right path himself as he keeps telling me he wants to grow up and be a fisherman and design games.

Why I'm here - What's next

So.. I've been on computers since the early 90s but I've never learnt any coding languages or anything and spent most of my years on games, starting on the likes of Habbo hotel back in like 2001 (Wow I feel old) And moving onto stuff such as Runescape Classic and RS2 Beta. I've done very basic Java as I ran a Runescape Private server for some time but that was mainly tutorials and A LOT of trial and error.

I've also made a few basic websites such as my support groups website that is made via WordPress (Letstalknortheast.com).

I currently work part-time in a Cinema but would love to move away from this and do something online such as running a game or web design but I'm currently at a crossroads which has led me here! 

I'm really good at making a community as I was with my Runescape server, also great as stuff such as sales from my many years in call centres.

Where would you guys suggest starting off with creating an MMORPG? I'm currently playing a game named Orake which seems pretty fun and I'd love to have a game like it, the game has died and only has around 5 active users now but the owner wants about $2k for the game which is way out of my budget unfortunately. My end game is to be able to work on the pc for a living and be able to monitor the live chats from my support group at the same time.

If you've read all this, Thanks for your time! And I look forward to meeting you guys.

Also if anyone is ever in need of a chat, you know where my inbox is or you can add me on discord at MrTobbo#8102

First off, welcome to AGD @Rafferty. You've come to the right place. 

Orake was built using the Eclipse game engines. The engines we offer here (Orion & Intersect) are the successors to Eclipse that have been rebuilt from the ground-up and now exceed the Eclipse engines in every way.

You should find making an Orake-like game to be fairly simple, you can even obtain the same graphics they use, as long as you're ready to put in the work.

29 minutes ago, Rafferty said:

the owner wants about $2k for the game which is way out of my budget unfortunately

Take it from someone who used to lead development of the Eclipse engine. Even if you had the money, that would be a terrible deal, and you're going to be better off this way.  The base Eclipse code isn't great. The original Orake owner recruited anyone and everyone who would even touch the code to fix stuff and make changes meaning you have all sorts of kids with little/no programming experience meddling in everything. Finding programmers willing to touch VB6 is becoming harder and harder each day. Even if it was all in perfect condition VB6 has countless crippling limitations which simply cannot be fixed/overcome. (Hence why we are rebuilding from the ground-up). You saved yourself a massive headache I promise!

17 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

First off, welcome to AGD @Rafferty. You've come to the right place. 

Orake was built using the Eclipse game engines. The engines we offer here (Orion & Intersect) are the successors to Eclipse that have been rebuilt from the ground-up and now exceed the Eclipse engines in every way.

You should find making an Orake-like game to be fairly simple, you can even obtain the same graphics they use, as long as you're ready to put in the work.

Take it from someone who used to lead development of the Eclipse engine. Even if you had the money, that would be a terrible deal, and you're going to be better off this way.  The base Eclipse code isn't great. The original Orake owner recruited anyone and everyone who would even touch the code to fix stuff and make changes meaning you have all sorts of kids with little/no programming experience meddling in everything. Finding programmers willing to touch VB6 is becoming harder and harder each day. Even if it was all in perfect condition VB6 has countless crippling limitations which simply cannot be fixed/overcome. (Hence why we are rebuilding from the ground-up). You saved yourself a massive headache I promise!

Thanks for the reply! And that's amazing thank you.

I offered him $300-$400 at the time as it's already had a massive amount of bug fixes and dupes etc fixed on it :P Along with the daily players it already brings in.

I like the feeling it gives as it's a lot like Runescape Classic in the sense of feelings but it also provides the nice grindy feeling it had. 

Do you guys have a discord channel? 

My partner and crime (co-owner of AGD and developer of Intersect) @Kibbelz created one. Last I heard it is pretty dead/unmanaged.  Link here.  This site has a shoutbox that becomes available after 1-2 weeks of a probationary period for people to get used to the board/forum structure, so that's where I normally am.

21 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

My partner and crime (co-owner of AGD and developer of Intersect) @Kibbelz created one. Last I heard it is pretty dead/unmanaged.  Link here.  This site has a shoutbox that becomes available after 1-2 weeks of a probationary period for people to get used to the board/forum structure, so that's where I normally am.

Look forward to seeing you there :P

19 minutes ago, Damian666 said:

lol, paying for  orake? yea no...

trust me, I have seen this source, don't do it lol...

I just like the look and feel of it lol, Any idea what texture files they bought etc? Wouldn't mind having very similar if I start from scratch. Was looking for a market as such where people may be selling sources which have already had a nice head start and I could get my teeth into. Cannot seem to find anything like that but looking at the documents of int and it already looks promising :)

These kinds of communities always seem so much more mature and friendly than other communities online also which is nice.

Edit:  PS I'll stop posting in here now as it's an intro thread (Just remembered :P)