[AOG] Game Story Cutscene Intro System [One off play for new characters]

Ainz Ooal Gown

Info:

I have just this moment realized that I had already made this tutorial before! I must have been drunk, oh well you can compare systems but I believe they are the same lol:

Description:

Very simple intro system for new players to your game to give a bit of backing and story. Excuse my poor intro images, they were just placeholders to make sure the system worked before I started working on better images for each scene.

NOTE: You can use the engines intro system for a intro images to show on every startup of your game. My system is for a one off play to give a new player a visual story through images.

Video:

https://www.ascensiongamedev.com/resources/filehost/a65b382fcb130ac97b798dea5253f37f.mp4

Process:

1. New player/character starts the game music plays and images are shown in sequence to explain a story line.
  2. After story intro finishes chat starts to main story line in game and a quest is given to player.

Issue:

Will only work with higher resolutions, as the smaller the resolution the more squashed the images in each scene will get.

Pre-Build:

We need some Images for each scene made:

• Image Size: 1920 x 1080
  • Store Images in: Client and Editor\resources\images

Sample:

Spoiler

Here is just 1 image scene so you get the idea: Intro1.png . In my video I use 6 Images, 1 for each scene explaining a story. My images are crap as they are just placeholders, so make yours awesome with colorful scene imagery.

3c5524792a1693c227628dfde51e08ed.png

Build: 

We need to create a "Common Event" and call its "New Player"

Spoiler

Event Flow Process:

1. You can ignore the "Start Common Event: New Player variables". This is just setting other player variables I need for other system as soon as new player starts the game, good practice to set variables then.
  2. Start Intro Music
  3. Display Intro:
    1. We show a picture
    2. Wait 5000ms (5 seconds) to give reader a chance to read image
    3. Hide picture
    4. Repeat for as many images you want to show the new player.
  4. Fadeout the Music and End Intro Scene
  5. Now we can see the player and we are in game. Here you can set some "Show Texts" to talk to the player and continue story of game, also at the end I would set a quest for the player.

NOTE: I have the condition of this even to start if a player "Can Start Quest: MAIN STORY". As at the end of event "New Character" I make the player take/start the quest condition "MAIN STORY". This means this intro will only play for new characters as everyone who starts the game is made to take that quest after intro... if you get me :P

NOTE: Trigger is set to "Login"

Here is the event:

1dcf9e24ff7aed64dc7fa842a7b80844.jpg

Completed!

Now every time a new player joins your game they will have a cool intro.

Enjoy :)

Just now, Ainz Ooal Gown said:

No problem.

I thought I would share some systems from my games that I think people would like for their games.

it's amazing, just like the trade book skills system, thanks for the system, it will help me a lot, it continues like this

• 1 month later...

There is a far simpler way to do this. In your client editor folder under resources there is the config JSON. Open it using Notepad then change this:

{
  "Host": "localhost",
  "Port": 5400,
  "RenderCache": true,
  "Font": "Arial",
  "ChatLines": 100,
  "MenuMusic": "",
  "MenuBackground": "background.png",
  "IntroImages": [  ]
}

To this:

{
  "IntroImages": [
    "Name of Image.png",
    "Name of image2.png"
  ]
}

Note: There can be and endless number of images posted this way.

Also note the images should be stored in the image folder inside the resource folder.

You can see how well this works in my game here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/diktfz723nwdz65/Craft Quest 1.0.zip?dl=0

hit ESC Key to fastfoward through the intro if you wish not to see it.

15 minutes ago, CraftQuest said:

There is a far simpler way to do this. In your client editor folder under resources there is the config JSON. Open it using Notepad then change this:

{
  "IntroImages": [  ]
}

To this:

{
  "IntroImages": [
    "Name of Image.png",
    "Name of image2.png"
  ]
}

Note: There can be and endless number of images posted this way.

Also note the images should be stored in the image folder inside the resource folder.

You can see how well this works in my game here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/diktfz723nwdz65/Craft Quest 1.0.zip?dl=0

hit ESC Key to fastfoward through the intro if you wish not to see it.

Didn't know about that! Will be a lot easier the way you have mentioned, thanks.

7 minutes ago, Ainz Ooal Gown said:

Didn't know about that! Will be a lot easier the way you have mentioned, thanks.

iIf you would have visited my UI tutorial page you would have know about it a month ago :P

Fair enough

9 minutes ago, Gibier said:

iIf you would have visited my UI tutorial page you would have know about it a month ago :P

Fair enough, but my question is does this play the intro scenes every time the game is opened?

1 minute ago, Ainz Ooal Gown said:

Fair enough

Fair enough, but my question is does this play the intro scenes every time the game is opened?

Yes every time the client is open not by enter to the game after selecting a character.

1 minute ago, Ainz Ooal Gown said:

Fair enough

It does, so it's not the same at all. 

I personally don't want to see a 9 minute intro every time I load up the game. 

6 minutes ago, Gibier said:

Yes every time the client is open not by enter to the game after selecting a character.

Ok. Well my tutorial triggers for new players, so its more of a cut scene intro then anything now so ill change the description and such. Could use the engines intro for a basic splash screen and my system for a start of a story. Thanks

EDIT: I have change the title of my tutorial and added a note.

2 minutes ago, Dashplant said:

It does, so it's not the same at all. 

I personally don't want to see a 9 minute intro every time I load up the game. 

Indeed, but what @Ainz Ooal Gown's tutorial make is more like a game intro splash screen. The engine's splash screen system is more a splash screen to show the compagny, engine and other info like that. To me they don't have the same utility.