Dev Blog 11/8/2018 - Beta 5 Wrap-up

jcsnider
Message added by jcsnider

Warning! .Net Framework 4.6.1+ is required to run this version of Intersect.  If you have trouble running the engine please try updating your .Net Framework version. (Or Mono if you're on Mac/Linux!)

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if it isn't already possible to create a guild system using the events? Seems like you could probably do something like that given how versatile it is.

This update is really interesting- many things I didn't even consider were added.  I can't help but feel some things are missing though? Even if I can't name those things right now. -edit- Ah, I can name one thing- when I read the on Death event for npcs/resources, I wondered why there wasn't something similar for players. Surely this trigger would work for custom PvP?

2 hours ago, Solomon said:

I wonder if it isn't already possible to create a guild system using the events? Seems like you could probably do something like that given how versatile it is.

This update is really interesting- many things I didn't even consider were added.  I can't help but feel some things are missing though? Even if I can't name those things right now. -edit- Ah, I can name one thing- when I read the on Death event for npcs/resources, I wondered why there wasn't something similar for players. Surely this trigger would work for custom PvP?

I would also love to know if this is possible. Would make things a lot more fun.

You can actually create a guild system, not only the system itself but the guild chat without changing a single line of source code. I'm not saying how to make it, you will learn more about intersect if you find out by yourself.

1 hour ago, Khaikaa said:

You can actually create a guild system, not only the system itself but the guild chat without changing a single line of source code. I'm not saying how to make it, you will learn more about intersect if you find out by yourself.

I don't think that's particularly useful. You can at least point them in the right direction..

2 hours ago, Dashplant said:

I don't think that's particularly useful. You can at least point them in the right direction..

Ok

They should start learning how to use the default commands, such as \pv 1 (or \pv{1} in b5) in order to get info from the intersect database and display it to the players.

When they understand how to use all these tools next step would be working with switches and variables. In b5 you are able to compare variables for the first time and also giving the value of a variable to another variable. This is a key resource when talking about guilds because you can usa a variable as an ID for guilds.

Last step would be understand that all members of the guild will have the same guild ID variable value, so you can fire common events which only affects to the members of that guild, so you can actually manage that guild.

I didn't try to be an asshole, my own experience using intersect makes me encourage people to be creative and test by themselves. Of course you can ask if you get stuck(I ask so much too), but I don't see the point of asking for complete complex features. Before asking for something complex try to play by yourself with the editor, make a few testing games and design simple mechanisms such as ability points or things that simple and generic. If someone asks me "hey, why my common events only affects to some players but not all of them?" I will have no problem on answering because the fact of asking that demonstrates that you already are putting effort on learning how to use intersect. But well, that's my viewpoint, nobody has to agree with me.

9 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

In that case though, until open-source, it is still on you to make the guilds for everyone, no?

I have no problem in making a tutorial showing how I would make a guild system, also I would have no problem giving the source of my own guild system after intersect source release.

I don’t think my question was communicated clearly :P

What I mean is, in your example above where you use switches and variables to determine what guilds players are in and to allow players to join guilds you (as the game creator) must still make all the guilds yourself correct? Players can only join the guilds you create for now?

1 minute ago, jcsnider said:

I don’t think my question was communicated clearly :P

What I mean is, in your example above where you use switches and variables to determine what guilds players are in and to allow players to join guilds you (as the game creator) must still make all the guilds yourself correct? Players can only join the guilds you create for now?

You can do this:

Create a global variable called lastGuildId and set its value to 0

Create a global variable called currentGuildRecruiting and set its value to 0

Create a player variable called guildId and set its value to 0

Create a map event and call it "guild master" or something like that

When a player fires that event, add +1 to the lastGuildId variable and, after that, set the player variable guildId to the lastGuildId new value

That player guildId variable value is now the Id of his guild.

Create another map event. Call it "guild recruiter" or something like that(you can do this adding more options to the previous event instead creating this one).

When a player fires that event, show options: open my guild recruitment, close my guild recruitment, join guild and exit.

If a player picks the "open my guild recruitment" option, set currentGuildRecruiting value to the player guildId value.

If a player picks the "close my guild recruitment" option, set currentGuildRecruiting value to 0.

If a player picks the "join guild" option and currentGuildRecruiting value is not equals to 0, show him the currentGuildRecruiting value as the id of the guild which is recruiting at that momment and ask if he want to join that guild. If he accepts, change its variable guildId value to the currentGuildRecruiting value.

This is a very simple guild system which I just designed here at this momment without even opening intersect(so maybe it won't work), i DON'T recommend using this system, there are problems to solve(for example, what happens if someone changes the currentGuildRecruiting value while another player is accepting joining the previous guild? what happen if 2 players from different guilds want to recruit people at the same time?), of course you can solve this problems at the momment, but I'm not explaining how to do that right now. If I explained this all is just because I wanted to demonstrate that it is actually possible to design a guild system in which the server admins have no need to press a single key.

• 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:17 PM, Khaikaa said:

Ok

They should start learning how to use the default commands, such as \pv 1 (or \pv{1} in b5) in order to get info from the intersect database and display it to the players.

When they understand how to use all these tools next step would be working with switches and variables. In b5 you are able to compare variables for the first time and also giving the value of a variable to another variable. This is a key resource when talking about guilds because you can usa a variable as an ID for guilds.

Last step would be understand that all members of the guild will have the same guild ID variable value, so you can fire common events which only affects to the members of that guild, so you can actually manage that guild.

I didn't try to be an asshole, my own experience using intersect makes me encourage people to be creative and test by themselves. Of course you can ask if you get stuck(I ask so much too), but I don't see the point of asking for complete complex features. Before asking for something complex try to play by yourself with the editor, make a few testing games and design simple mechanisms such as ability points or things that simple and generic. If someone asks me "hey, why my common events only affects to some players but not all of them?" I will have no problem on answering because the fact of asking that demonstrates that you already are putting effort on learning how to use intersect. But well, that's my viewpoint, nobody has to agree with me.

Oh wow! I've been looking for something like this. Only downside is you can't name your guilds but oh well this will do, thanks!

• 4 weeks later...