Closed Alpha Ruinic - Competitive Dungeon Crawler

General Awesome

logo.png

About the Game

The Jist

Ruinic is a competitive multiplayer dungeon crawler -- CMDC for short. The objective of the game is to farm loot, hone your skills, discover ancient and forgotten secrets, and compete with other players via a comprehensive ranking system. In addition to this, Ruinic will feature a strong social element, as guilds will also be able to compete with each other.

Gear and skills

Unlike most other dungeon crawlers and RPGs, your character will not be locked to any one class; rather, your characters skill will be determined through a combination of how much time they've put into utilizing that particular skill and the abilities of the gear they're using. The skills in Ruinic will be centered around four different types of game play: Damage, Tanking, Healing, and Necromancy. All of these game play types will have to work in harmony in order for the players to survive the harsh environments in which they find themselves. Players may also create unique gear builds in order to hybrid between these roles and secure all the treasures of their adventures for themselves. The first three types of game play are pretty standard in most games, but the fourth is unique to Ruinic. More about these skills can be found below.

• Damage - As should be obvious, the purpose of damage builds is to unleash as much destruction upon foes as possible. It is vital that enough damage is done in order to assure that the Tank is not overwhelmed and that the Necromancer is able to fulfill its role.
  • Tank The purpose of the tank is to concentrate the wrath of enemies upon itself and soak up as much of their damage as possible.
  • Healer The purpose of the healer is to, as simply put as possible, ensure that everyone stays alive
  • Necromancer The Necromancer plays an extremely important role. The purpose of Necromancy is to harvest the life force of dead foes and channel it into forms of energy usable by other roles. Without the Necromancer, the Tank, Damage, and Healing roles cannot effectively perform their jobs.

Dungeons

Dungeons, which will make up the majority of content within the world of Ruinic will be massive, sprawling labyrinths filled to the brim with monsters, traps, puzzles, and other players. Entrances to these dungeons will appear to the overworld occasionally, so players should always be on their toes to be the first ones to jump in, explore, and amass untold riches. After a set amount of time has passed, dungeons will begin to become unstable and collapse in on themselves. Players should then quickly evacuate, as a stray piece of ceiling, fire storm, or chasm in the ground could see that much of their acquired treasure is lost. 

PVP

Player-versus-player interactions in Ruinic will be very similar to older hardcore ORPGs such as Tibia, where player killing can be extremely rewarding, but potentially disastrous should you decide to take a risk and slay your fellow explorers. Past a particular introductory level, which is yet to be determined, the initiation of a PVP battle will be unrestricted aside for some severe penalties for the initiating player. If you are successful in slaying your opponent, you will receive the treasures they have acquired in their backpack as well as some of the experience they gained while in the dungeon, but, if you are unsuccessful, there are some rather nasty consequences! Upon attacking another player in a dungeon, you will receive a red skull, which will last for a duration of time scalable to the difference between your level and the victims. This could range anywhere from 30 minutes for a player who is equal to or greater than your level, to an hour for players who are of a much lower level. If you die while skulled, you will not only lose all of the acquired items within your backpack, but also your equipped gear and the experience acquired from the dungeon you were skulled in, as well as every dungeon you visited after you received your skull. If you attempt to enter a hub city while still skulled, not only will you have guards to fend off who will have been warned of your treachery, but players will also be able to attack you without penalty, so it's best to wait out the heat before trying to resurface! 

Hub Citites

The hub cities are where players will congregate to interact, buy and sell their amassed loot, host clan events, and participate in various other social activities. Players will be able to set up their own custom stocked shops, where you can set your own prices and allow other players to swing by and see what you have up for grabs. More information will be released about hub cities as we move forward in development, but expect an update about the first city, Thelara, to be released very soon!

Screenshots and Details

Below you may find a collection of updates that I will also post as replies in this thread.

Click here for our official website!

Keep track of development on our Discord
Discord-LogoWordmark-Color.png

9/26/2017

9K62FUP.pngUwI2iRa.png

9/9/2017

Spoiler

JWmvx9V.png

2/7/2016

cwnriaH.png

wQwFOfe.png

I6HVAUH.png

2/12/2016

3JfTN2B.png

2/22/2016

pk0QfD5.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This isn't dead. Currently porting the client over to MonoGame and then I need to do a bit of tweaking with the server to fix a movement synchronization oddity. Things have been a little slow because I'm still waiting on artwork (will probably just begin purchasing assets here soon) and I also recently got a new job with a human rights NPO here in Phoenix. Stay tuned.

What will this be for PC? Good progress bud. Im interested.

PC, Mac, and Linux.

You mean Windows, Mac and Linux right... Cause PC stand for personal computer which can run Mac, Linux, and Windows... Just being technical here...

• 3 months later...

I plan to resume work on this within the next week. The big issue that I was working on when I took my last hiatus was one concerning performance. Once I've tackled that, hopefully I can move on to things that will make for more interesting progress updates. Additionally, if anyone is interested in lending a helping hand on this project, be my guest. Please be aware that I have no plans to monetize or market it.

Not trying to be a party pooper, but I quit because you ignored me even tho u had time posting stuff on facebook, then tell me you didn't have time for me, when you asked me to join you.

With Murdoc, no idea, maybe the same thing, no communication and directions whatsoever.

Good to see you're still trying to make some stuff, but oh well, you're the ponyboy, so who knows haha you might finish Schlong Man Online first, that was a nice game.

27 minutes ago, Dr.House said:

Hide contents

Not trying to be a party pooper, but I quit because you ignored me even tho u had time posting stuff on facebook, then tell me you didn't have time for me, when you asked me to join you.

With Murdoc, no idea, maybe the same thing, no communication and directions whatsoever.

Good to see you're still trying to make some stuff, but oh well, you're the ponyboy, so who knows haha you might finish Schlong Man Online first, that was a nice game.

Ugh, you know me and we've had our fair share of confrontations over my inability to work on anything for very long, but we'll see where this goes. In all fairness though, that time in my life truly was crazy. I've hardly been at the computer recently and honestly I'm okay with that reality.