jcsnider

JC's Game Launcher & Updater! (Easiest you'll find!)

18 hours ago, AisenArvalis said:

Would it be possible to add a "Play" button to the launcher instead of it auto starting the client? It's ok if it can't be done but I feel like it would be a nice addition.

I have no clue how good this is or if it even works since it's early and I was too lazy to get an API key so I sort of winged it and hoped it would work in 2 minutes but:

Binary

Source

I can go back and improve it with actual style and stuff later if you want and can give me an api key to use for testing but I'm out most of today. Might help but if not just hit me up and I can make it better later.

It's stuck on "Update Complete! Launching Game!" but it doesn't launch the game at all. How do i fix this?

Edit : Figure it out 2 mins later. I just need to change "data/Intersect Client.exe" to "Intersect Client.exe" 

When I was using this, I found a number of issues and found ways to solve them. Just in case anyone else has these issues, here are the solutions.

Game is stuck at "looking for updates"

Solution 1: Refresh the page of your API key. Sometimes Google Drive confuses it with other projects for some reason.

Solution 2: Make sure you have got the folder ID of the folder containing data, not the data folder.

Solution 3: Make sure to run the launcher in administrator mode!!!!!

Heyo, having an issue with the updater. It jumps straight from "Checking For Updates" to "Launching" without downloading anything.

It never installed any files.

Spoiler

{
    "FolderId": "-removed-",
    "ApiKey":  "-removed-",
    "UpdaterTitle": "Eris Online Launcher",
    "Background" : "data/launcher.png",
    "LaunchApplication": "data/Intersect Client.exe"
}

9 hours ago, Mapyo said:

Heyo, having an issue with the updater. It jumps straight from "Checking For Updates" to "Launching" without downloading anything.

It never installed any files.

Hide contents

{
    "FolderId": "-removed-",
    "ApiKey":  "-removed-",
    "UpdaterTitle": "Eris Online Launcher",
    "Background" : "data/launcher.png",
    "LaunchApplication": "data/Intersect Client.exe"
}

Could be a few things..!

Simple things to check:

• Do you have the FolderID of the folder containing the data and not the data folder? Is it correct?
  • Is the APIKey correct?
  • Do you already have the item/version you're trying to download in your local folder? It won't download anything if so.

7 hours ago, EVOLV said:

Could be a few things..!

Simple things to check:

• Do you have the FolderID of the folder containing the data and not the data folder? Is it correct?
  • Is the APIKey correct?
  • Do you already have the item/version you're trying to download in your local folder? It won't download anything if so.

FolderID and APIKey are correct and theres nothing in my local data folder, aside from the BG and settings file.

Edit: Looked at your game EVOLV and looks pretty cool. Trying it out today.

3 hours ago, Mapyo said:

Edit: Looked at your game EVOLV and looks pretty cool. Trying it out today.

Thank you! And so sorry I can't be of more help. It's been a while since I set my updater on my game. I ran into each of the issues I listed while troubleshooting, but it definitely works. Perhaps as one last thought, assure link sharing is on, on your Google Drive end.

56 minutes ago, EVOLV said:

Thank you! And so sorry I can't be of more help. It's been a while since I set my updater on my game. I ran into each of the issues I listed while troubleshooting, but it definitely works. Perhaps as one last thought, assure link sharing is on, on your Google Drive end.

No worries! I went ahead and tried to enable link sharing. Turns out you need to turn on link sharing for each individual folder in order for it to work, not just the main folder.

Edit: Upon further review, it seems you need to enable link sharing for each individual asset too... 3645 files is alot of files to enable link sharing for...

Edit 2: Looks like its a bug for a few users, so this is not a launcher issue. (Source: https://support.google.com/drive/thread/4081808?hl=en)
If anyone know how to solve this, please give me a shout as manually link sharing 3645 files is not an option.

Just now, jcsnider said:

Maybe delete all the files, enable sharing on the folder, and the add all the files again? They'd probably be shared because the parent is shared when they are added.

I'll give that a go, fresh folder and enable sharing and then insert the files. I am on google chat support at the moment too so hopefully they can come up with a solution if this does not fix it.

Edit: Alrighty, so Google claims there is no way to share all files in a folder without sharing all of them first. Which sounds like BS as that's how link sharing is supposed to operate :/

Edit2: So that what google said, is correct. You do need to indiviually add each file to link sharing for them to show up, and there is no way for you to do it in bulk. 

Linked here (https://drive.google.com/open?id=162xV1-uObNweFJZqyNqripfZYZgccr1u) is a link to a google drive, and inside should be 2 files as shown here (https://ascensiongamedev.com/resources/filehost/079e2519238707a7c65a1f7532cef175.png). A document and an excel spreadsheet, however when you click that link, you don't see either. Meaning I have to individually link share each file. So that leaves me with a question, how the heck have you all been able to do this and why am I the exception?

Image of folder with files:

079e2519238707a7c65a1f7532cef175.png

Edit3: Just called google and they have their techy guys taking a look at it. So what is currently happening to me is a bug and it hopefully it will be fixed soon.

(sorry for the re-post, it wouldn't let me edit the post above!)

12 hours ago, Mapyo said:

Edit3: Just called google and they have their techy guys taking a look at it. So what is currently happening to me is a bug and it hopefully it will be fixed soon.

(sorry for the re-post, it wouldn't let me edit the post above!)

Glad they're taking a look at it. I just checked out some of my different accounts with drive and each one, on separate folders within each separate account, all let me link-share from the folder end. You *should* be able to just use the drop-down menu of your "Test" folder and do this:

0ca1591fc356f54aa34401c0f08b5c10.png

e785ba5c77e70d369d968975ec62a8be.png

Because you're right -- sharing each file individually would be a real "PITA" and would basically remove the point of the updater, entirely. Good luck -- I hope they get back to you. Else, heck -- maybe make a whole new drive?

8 hours ago, EVOLV said:

Glad they're taking a look at it. I just checked out some of my different accounts with drive and each one, on separate folders within each separate account, all let me link-share from the folder end. You *should* be able to just use the drop-down menu of your "Test" folder and do this:

0ca1591fc356f54aa34401c0f08b5c10.png

e785ba5c77e70d369d968975ec62a8be.png

Because you're right -- sharing each file individually would be a real "PITA" and would basically remove the point of the updater, entirely. Good luck -- I hope they get back to you. Else, heck -- maybe make a whole new drive?

21 hours ago, jcsnider said:

Maybe delete all the files, enable sharing on the folder, and the add all the files again? They'd probably be shared because the parent is shared when they are added.

Thanks to both of you, for the support! Turns out it was just a signifigant amount of latency and they were able to pull it through for me. They now have a note on their support page under link sharing stating that sharing large quantities of files (in my case ~3k) can take 24-48 hours to appear publicly!

Sorry to flood this topic, maybe someone could take this to DM's with me? After getting it all up and working it looks like after it downloads all files it will say that it will launch the game and then it closes itself but nothing happens. Taking a further look, it seems that the game IS launching as its showing in Task Manager but no window is appearing.