jcsnider

JC's Game Launcher & Updater! (Easiest you'll find!)

Question, how can I add Server Status to my Launcher ? For Example I wanna put it at the top right of my launcher saying,  [Server Status: Online]

Anyway I can code in my IP and Port and have it displayed like that or ? Game vb6, but launcher .net, and It's just grabbing a status basically right?

Are you planing to write a little documentation about the launcher? It would save time to everyone modifying the source. Of course I'd understand if not, I know that there are other priorities right now.

Can you help me? How can i change download and update path in source code? It's just that all the actions take place in the folder with the application, I would like the download and update to take place in the folder I need.

Hello again my fellow makers. I am having a problem with the launcher and would like to place an inquiry to have this issue resolved as soon as possible.

Having followed the steps an making sure not to miss/mess anything I still can not get past the "Please Wait, Checking For Updates..." for some reasons. I have replaced the keys and even tried to change out the folder ID back and forth a few times but, to no avail the issue still persists.

[Settings Text File] (Things Removed for Reasons)

{
    "FolderId": "1_rcITFvnB95bFs9OE8EUAmmo_sqrIQrn",
    "ApiKey":  "-Removed-",
    "UpdaterTitle": "-Removed-",
    "Background" : "data/launcher.png",
    "LaunchApplication": "data/Intersect Client.exe"
}

If anyone could be so kind as to show me how to fix this problem, please let me know ASAP.

Namaste,

ERAOR

(p.s.: If i have placed this Inquiry in the wrong place, Please let me know so I can post it in its proper place.)

Would you be able to add in the ability to update direct from a web server??  I have a hosting solution for the base website I wish to use for promoting my game and i'm hosting my dev server on my home laptop, but I would like my updates to come direct from my own web server and not google drive.

Is there any way of doing this??

Thanks in advance.

TheKezStrel  (KP)

@TheKezStrel: Maybe someday. While updating directly from a web server would be faster, this updater was designed for those who don't have to one.

The google drive api is nothing like a web server, so it would require rewriting a ton of code to get something like that working.

A shame for now, but worth sticking on the back burner for a future release??  I'm no good with coding so unable to even implement something like this, but would love to have the option do this or it's current google drive option.

On 12/19/2018 at 4:45 AM, Eraor said:

Hello again my fellow makers. I am having a problem with the launcher and would like to place an inquiry to have this issue resolved as soon as possible.

Having followed the steps an making sure not to miss/mess anything I still can not get past the "Please Wait, Checking For Updates..." for some reasons. I have replaced the keys and even tried to change out the folder ID back and forth a few times but, to no avail the issue still persists.

I have the same issue. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

23 hours ago, Nerofle Lincoln said:

I have the same problem than Eraor and The Bunny Gamer the launcher stays on "Please Wait, Checking For Updates..."

I agree. About 65% of the time, the launcher works fine. The other 35%, it doesn't work and I either have to rerun the .exe a couple times or redownload just the .exe.

All right, my friend, I really liked the idea of pulling update from the google cloud ... The only annoying thing is that it takes time to find the update, maybe some other cloud will be faster ...
as for false positives .. wanted to understand why this happens because it makes it difficult for anyone to pass the game to the test staff ...

There are SOOOO many viruses out there and everyone tries to detect them with different methods. Our application looks suspicious to some of the automated systems those companies use to scan our apps. What is even more telling is that 75%+ think it's safe  You might be able to reach out to each individual company and have it cleared, but you'd have to do that for every update of the updater and your game. We don't have the resources for that unfortunately.