jcsnider

JC's Game Launcher & Updater! (Easiest you'll find!)

53 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

LaunchApplication needs to be “data/The 7 Sins.exe”

it's working, simple error, thank you !

I followed the tutorial, but when launching the updater it gets stuck on "Please wait, checking for updates!" and nothing gets downloaded at all despite the launcher already having both the API key and folder ID on its config file.

10 minutes ago, JonBaxter said:

I followed the tutorial, but when launching the updater it gets stuck on "Please wait, checking for updates!" and nothing gets downloaded at all despite the launcher already having both the API key and folder ID on its config file.

If you attach your config file and paste a sharing link to the Dropbox folder I’ll look into it :) 

3 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

If you attach your config file and paste a sharing link to the Dropbox folder I’ll look into it :) 

{
	"FolderId": "1r0uYuLYbmwNTVbEg7fRnRdxibfvV2eP8",
	"ApiKey":  "-removed-",
	"UpdaterTitle": "Sonic Arena 2 Remake",
	"Background" : "data/launcher.png",
	"LaunchApplication": "data/Intersect Client.exe"
}

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1r0uYuLYbmwNTVbEg7fRnRdxibfvV2eP8

hi,

the updater dowload the game but is close at 40% and if relauch it close and can't continue the update !

{
    "FolderId": "1-VakUXKVru9jrHHKpzFhtCt9xGtzrzLU",
    "ApiKey":  "",
    "UpdaterTitle": "MMO Updater",
    "Background" : "data/launcher.png",
    "LaunchApplication": "data/Intersect Client.exe"
}

Antivirus was only a guess. Windows Defender shouldn’t be a problem but some of the more picky systems like Norton probably would block stuff. 

The updater is working fine here... I’m not entirely sure what’s going on. 

hi,

I just tried several different ways, return files 1 to 1 on google drive, and I really believe that problem comes from my too many files I will try to put less = D

43 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

Need screenshots of your directories in order to tell ya.

I got it to work on my own PC now, do people have to edit the filepath themselves to make it work then? 

I have this>

"LaunchApplication": "C:/Users/Kasplant/Google Drive/Dev/DragonBreeZeeAlpha/DragonBreeZee.exe"

Using the full file path will not work for anyone but yourself and you shouldn't expect your users to make that change for their own pcs.

Please post screenshots of the directory your launcher.exe is in and the directory where the client exe is in.

Will the amount of files in my Google drive have an impact on whether or not my launcher will download/update? I'm stuck on the "Please wait, checking for updates!" part of the launcher. (I've quadruple checked all the steps and made sure I've done exactly all steps perfectly) Also, does my server need to be up for this launcher to grab the files from the drive? 

also a bit curious if players can do anything with my api key or anything like that, and how to restrict my google drive/api key so that they wouldn't be able to, if they are able to by default. don't want to send out an updater without being 100% sure, especially with the api key exposed.

@Maven_ share your settings file with me.. I will looked into it when I can.

@Breadcrumbs the api key should only give access to folders in your drive that are marked as public/sharable with link.  If you're worried you can make a secondary google account for the sole purpose of this updater.

Just now, jcsnider said:

@Maven_ share your settings file with me.. I will looked into it when I can.

@Breadcrumbs the api key should only give access to folders in your drive that are marked as public/sharable with link.  If you're worried you can make a secondary google account for the sole purpose of this updater.

Got'cha. Thank you. Already created an account that was just centered around my game so certainly appreciate clarification. <3 

Another update. Version 2.2 is out!  Grab it here: https://github.com/AscensionGameDev/Game-Launcher/releases

This update has cycling ellipses to show that the updater is alive and working while checking for updates.

This update was brought to you by @Damian666.

Final result:

181cf66717e2b43f1a145ac138666616.gif