Graphics 4GoE GUI

Giligis

So over the past couple of days I've been creating the UI for 4 Good or Evil, since my game is "old school modern" theme, I think its super important I nail the look of the UI. I used parts from OpenGameArt of an already made GUI, but I thought it fit very well. I still have some changes to make, and please, if you can, ignore the HP bars, I haven't gone through and fixed everything in Visual Studio. The Inventory GUI will also be made transparent. Quality seems killed a tad, but, whada you think? :D 

5852c08d56437db9f0c26d87c0f6d7a6.png

Update: 

3fc51cee37848aa943a148385a028f4b.png

Yeah, I forget what its called to be perfectly honest. I can see what you mean with the detail, I'll see what I can do to create more of a simplistic feel. 

29 minutes ago, SkywardRiver said:

Kind of clashes with the feel IMO. I feel like a little more streamlined, clean UI would feel better than the "gritty" textures on that. Layout looks epic though haha. Can't wait to see more from this project!

The layout is what I wanted to nail especially, I can always change the look of the GUI!

Thanks Kasplant and Sky ^.^

3 minutes ago, Agoraphobic said:

Looks good. My only complaint is you used lower case letters for your words at the bottom of the gui; however, at the top (by the hp bars) you used capitalization in FPS and Ping.

It should be one way or the other, not both. <3

That's drawn to the screen by Damian, not my doing :P I can change that though, I believe. 

4 hours ago, James said:

Looks fine much better than many GUI I have seen on games like this.

Thanks man, appreciate the kind words :) Thanks to Damian(among a thousand other things): 

b8922383748d9c054a92ee0bcbdf615c.png

I will ill make the fps, ping, time and map obviously lowercase again :P Face will change to Sprite. 

It looks amazing, it's a good job, really! I love the ''clean'' style that you are implement in all the game. 

Everything is according to the each thing (tileset, entities, etc.) ^_^.

The only thing that causes me strangeness is the OPTION and EXIT buttons,

In comparison to the others I feel that you emphasize an aspect of the games that is used in a casual way. (Well, only an opinion).

Regards

Thanks Refur! Means a lot to me! I appreciate the positive criticism. I wanted to emphasize the options because it contains changing screen size, I wanted it to stick out to players so it was easy to confine to what they need. Only made sense that I make a button to match hence the exit button :P I might change it for the future and make it indented or something like its engraved, not too sure!

Anyways, thank you man! That "clean" style is what I'm trying to nail!

14 minutes ago, Sethis said:

Very neat :) but i would probably have preferred if everything where in uppercase as for now i can't help but notice the absence of the first capital letter and it kinda tickle me in the wrong spot :P

But once again : very neat !

Ahaha I apologize to a lot of people. My way of designing things is out there XD I preferred lowercase because the uppercase seemed to serious for my game, in a sort of way. I can't explain it very well, but I thought lower case fit for a more cutesy game, however I know it will bug some people. 

8 minutes ago, Kibbelz said:

Not too sure i like the random transparent circles around the character icon and vitals HUD. I really dislike the giant options and exit sign. I think making them all the same size in a 3x2 grid would look much nicer. Best of luck!

Yeah seems to be hit or miss here, I've gotten really good opinions about the action bar and then others say yeah it needs to go lol. I personally like it but I'll see what I can do to make it more appealing!

I appreciate all the feedback guys, thank you! 

4GOE will feature sleep, hunger, and hygiene. Where do you guys personally think this should be displayed? Should I put more bars on the already pretty full in game interface to show users their levels of each bar? Or maybe add text/bars to the character panel, to avoid more clutter and users can check their levels every so often(with text notifications in chat like "You are hungry!!"). What do you think works better?

I don't feel like more bars will be necessary, but some indicators on the screen might be. If you can do it (i don't know if it's possible with the engine you're using, i'm kind of a noob in this regard), it would be cool to see icons when your player is mildly sleepy/hungry/smelly (and another one when strongly sleepy etc.) either horizontally under or at the right of the hotbar, or vertically on the left side of the screen, under the status panel (like buff/debuff in mmorpg, if you see what i mean). Of course, you'll still need to provide more precise information in the character panel.

This way you'll allow your players to be warned only when needed, it will act as a liltle reminder of their status without dividing their attention between multiple bars in a clutter-fuckfest GUI - bars which would be used and checked about 5% of the time i reckon (totally improvised number here).

Spoiler

L1pBi.jpg

Btw, you happen to have 3 "random transparent circles around the character icon" ... maybe you could use them for that ? Just saying :)

5 hours ago, Sethis said:

I don't feel like more bars will be necessary, but some indicators on the screen might be. If you can do it (i don't know if it's possible with the engine you're using, i'm kind of a noob in this regard), it would be cool to see icons when your player is mildly sleepy/hungry/smelly (and another one when strongly sleepy etc.) either horizontally under or at the right of the hotbar, or vertically on the left side of the screen, under the status panel (like buff/debuff in mmorpg, if you see what i mean). Of course, you'll still need to provide more precise information in the character panel.

This way you'll allow your players to be warned only when needed, it will act as a liltle reminder of their status without dividing their attention between multiple bars in a clutter-fuckfest GUI - bars which would be used and checked about 5% of the time i reckon (totally improvised number here).

Reveal hidden contents

L1pBi.jpg

Btw, you happen to have 3 "random transparent circles around the character icon" ... maybe you could use them for that ? Just saying :)

Thats a good idea, with the holes around the HUD. I'll see what I can do, thank you for the insight. I'm trying to avoid that cluster fuck GUI. Obviously if i do it that way you can still check exact numbers in the character panel.

29 minutes ago, Damian666 said:

those are way to small...

Not for what we need though. If I made the 3 circles indicators all I do is put a baugette, shower head, and zzz on a small green/yellow/red circle. Green means somewhere from 100%-75%, yellow means anywhere from 74% - 50% and red is below 50% or something.

Not sure what to do, maybe just leave it in the character panel. For sure I'm not drawing new bars to the screen. 

1 minute ago, Damian666 said:

good idea, when your at it, supply glasses with your game...

that way users can see it :P

Well, it's just an indicator. So all you gotta do is see its red, open character panel and see what the exact numbers are, but, I suppose you're right. Will be a little hard to see and notice being so small.