Skywardens [ORPG]

SkywardRiver

Skywardens_Logo.png

Skywardens is an ORPG that aims to bring Exploration and Adventure back to the forefront of the genre. I've created this game using my personal copy of Eclipse and it's packing some pretty impressive features such as mounts, a talent tree system, visual item drop, stealth, terrain, and much much more. I hope you enjoy and if you have any issues or feedback, just let me know here!

Setting

Skywardens is set in the far flung future. The Earth has suffered a cataclysmic event known today as The Shatter. What remains are now floating islands. Hundreds of years have passed, leading to the innovation of airships, the founding of nations, and the awakening of long dormant magic. Explore all of Sharda on your quest to stop the Dark Ones. Beings beyond our comprehension. Find hidden areas, train your trade skills, and battle through grueling dungeons. This all awaits you in Alpha v1 of Skywardens.

Oh, did I forget to mention that the game is playable as I type this out? Come on down and try it with us!

Download

Click Me

Mirror

Screenshots

pic1.png
pic2.png
pic3.png

A super big thanks to Benjo for hosting our server!

If you're intending to use RPGMaker graphics and release on a non-RPGMaker engine- you're gonna have a bad time. Intellectual property theft. If you get caught, you'll have to return all donated funds and if they decide to make an example out of you, you're gonna have to pay damages and legal costs for their side.

Ah, noted. The donation button has been taken down. I would find it seriously silly if the decided to take it down or even pursue legal action, however, seeing as there are projects under full release (some even selling) using RM graphics that have far more publicity than this one.

And yeah just in case it wasn't clear, Skywardens is and always shall be completely free.

7 minutes ago, Kem said:

If you're intending to use RPGMaker graphics and release on a non-RPGMaker engine- you're gonna have a bad time. Intellectual property theft. If you get caught, you'll have to return all donated funds and if they decide to make an example out of you, you're gonna have to pay damages and legal costs for their side.

This.

I managed to get my game Greenlit, but it was hard as Hell and I received a lot of flak from using RPGMaker graphics on a non-RPGMaker engine. I never did publish the game to Steam, though, and I've even shut down the servers entirely. Even if you don't get caught up in any legal issues like I somehow managed to avoid, you're going to have a hard time getting Greenlit.. quite a lot of people will call you out on the generic "oh look, another crappy RPGMaker-style game". If you insist on using these graphics and you don't plan on changing them, then do NOT let negative comments get you down! You'll eventually get Greenlit, I'm sure of it. It'll just take time.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the "No" votes don't count toward anything when it comes to being Greenlit. I had a roughly 60%-30% split of No-Yes votes... despite that being pretty devastating, it didn't have an effect, and I still managed to get Greenlit anyway.

I mean, I imagine you could always just throw in a disclaimer clearly stating you don't own the graphics, or just run them through some Gimp edits to make them as different as possible without too many changes or something else along those lines and you could probably be safe.. but I'm no lawyer, so don't hold me to that.

So yeah, keep plugging away and don't back down, and you'll be Greenlit eventually! :D

Oh I'm quite aware of the stigma. If there were another graphics library that held everything I needed I would use it over RMXP graphics instantly. Enterbrain is credited for all graphics not made by me or commissioned. If it ever came to a lawsuit, I'm sure me taking down the game would service them enough. I mean, look at Crystalshire. It was up for a good few YEARS and it was running RMVX graphics while the software was still new. I'm sure I'll be fine, and if not, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Just means people wouldn't be able to experience what I believe to be my best Eclipse based game. (also my last one).

Well, as mentioned before, Skywardens is also a free non-commercial project and is no longer asking for donations. My first goal is to provide a fun experience to anyone that checks it out. I ain't trying to make bank on this xD. Regardless, I welcome the critique and the legal advice. Thanks :D

Haha, game creation is my passion man xD Though this is probably the last one I'll make or be working on until I finish Dawn haha.

As an added thought, launch is actually going really really well. I'm gone for a few hours but damn do I like the player base so far haha.

When I first commented, there was a donation button and talk of distributing the game on Steam via Greenight- that was removed after my post and SkywardRiver's post saying he didn't want to sell the game was posted.

If you are benefiting/profiting from Enterbrain's intellectual property, whether by donation or sales, you are breaking copyright law. There were no Eclipse projects using Enterbrain's property that sold themselves, therefore the argument that "oh there were eclipse games that never got cease and desist, so obviously the owners don't care how their property is used" is flawed and moot. There may well have been projects that took donations, however no projects lasted long enough for Enterbrain to notice- unlike a company such as Nintendo, they don't have a department that trawls the internet every day looking for people using their assets.

If you got greenlit and were taking donations, you'd draw attention to yourself. Enterbrain have taken down Steam titles in the past and even non-Steam indie titles (like ones on Desura) because of use of their property to make money. It states it plain and simply on the website that their art is for RPGMaker only and they use a Share-alike clause that states any remixes or additions to their work are officially and formally property of Enterbrain Studios also.

This is why I made my initial post.

6f4d643cd7.jpg

I'm not sure what they would do legally speaking if you use their graphics in a custom engine, but didn't sell it or make money off of it, including adverts on the game website or game trailer on Youtube. I think they probably aren't going to come after you if you stay small, but if you get too large as a game, you set a bad example that says Enterbrain doesn't care about their graphics licensing and that it's open-season on using them, this will lead to many people using their graphics outside of RPGMaker which people do anyway (but Enterbrain will try to minimise that as much as possible by removing large projects.)

I think if you did everything free and weren't taking money, you could somewhat get away with it, they could cease and desist but they couldn't take you to court over it, the case would likely be dismissed or you could use a fair use defense and their case wouldn't win anyway.

But you never know- if they can prove you're using their assets or that you made money (they'd likely try to get a subpoena on your banking information) then you'd be in trouble. As for a cease and desist DMCA notice, not adhering to one is evidence against you if they want to take you to court over it- which is why they're so effective at getting fan games shut down.

Yep! Free all the way! I was led to believe (by my apparent imbecile of a social teacher) that if you were taking donations that the donations were to your IP, not the assets. Just in case though, I HAVE taken down the donation link. I will be accepting no donations save people contributing to a wiki someday perhaps.

A big thanks to our players so far who have helped me fix any mistakes thus far! Seriously you guys are the best :D I'm currently uploading a new installer that includes the runtimes as well. (totally forgot about it when I was initially packaging the game). That should be up in a bit. Again, thanks to everyone who has played and helped me out :D

31 minutes ago, Azkanan said:

Remember when Beau made that zelda game and Nintendo showed up with a ten million dollar book they threw at him?

Scary stuff.

Also Hi Sky! Glad to see wardens still around :).

When was that?

Think it actually was before 2009. Legend of Hyrule or something of that sort, I forget what the game was called but Beau (Kreator, right?) created beautiful pixel art, before any games on Eclipse really had any awesome artwork like that. Was awesome. But please keep this on-topic.

On-topic: Ahhh, good ol' Skywardens! Great to see this here, always loved work from ya, very solid, very clean. Happy to see what you can bring to the table again!

Hey glad to hear it man!

In other news, before I post about this week's upcoming Content Update, all players in the top ten ranking numbers (press R in-game to check this top ten) will be receiving a Founder's Giftbox and 5 Drachma at the end of the week (on Saturday). The Giftbox contains an assortment of exclusive items only available through these founder's boxes, but you'll only get one of them as it's a random pick of the assortment. You can also purchase these Giftboxes in Ursa Village for 5 Drachma. (Drachma are a rare currency drop). Hope to see some of you fighting for those top ten spots! Good luck everyone!

• 4 months later...

If your speaking about The Legend of Zelda - Hyrule Online I have a copy of the entire thing lol! When the Server and Client got leaked it went to a lot of people and many host it now. Gunslinger/Admin were head admins names I remember of that game being open from 2006-2009. Zelda was shut down due to Nintendo threats. But I told Gunslinger he had a fighting Chance... North American's Trademark laws are more powerful then Toyko, China and etc, French Community even has a stronger copyright law. It's why http://pokemon-revolution-online.net/, and The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time 2D hasn't been dismissed with copy right threats. But Oot 2D is lack of development and so far no moving on. Even for  MASSIVE MMORPG GAME LIKE https://dbo.global/ IT'S 3D DRAGONBALL Z GAME OF THE DBO MMO THAT WAS RELEASED BY THE KOREAN. They have a donation system to keep the server alive and hasn't been threaten to be shut down. Depending on how you do things you be fine. Otherwise get the hell out of dodge. I know this forum is old as dirt, But theres times you can fight your hard work and time in somethings you put in. I have a copy of the Zelda Client and Server. I also got permission from Gunslinger to use it as well on youtube. I would fight Nintendo in court if I know I have a fighting chance. Nintendo may say you can't use my trademarks at all! But once they go public and released. There freely to use. But once you make money from it besides a donation to your server then it's a whole another ball game. I loved that game The Legend of Zelda - Hyrule Online! Amazing Fan Made Game! I have a working Server and Client. I'm two seconds from releasing it to the public to be spread rapidly. Another apology for getting off topic on this Forum. (I'm Really Not Active on Forums so I might not reply to a reply.)