Additional User groups

Kibbelz

As stated here, Additional user groups:

This is the thread to continue talking about this, please read the previous posts beyond the comment linked before posting. (for some reason, splitting a topic just removes a single post for some dumb reason....) All ideas are on the table and no idea is wrong or bad. This is a general discussion of peoples opinion since this seems a very popular topic.

*takes a deep breath*

Let the debate continue!

I'm not against user groups. I think it would be nice and welcomed addition honestly. As for elitism I'm not sure what you mean. If you're talking about members becoming ass hats or something then I could maybe see that. But really a user group shouldn't mean anybody is better the next. I do feel like some members should have a little more say in things but only those with a good reputation(as in likes and donators not post count).

2 hours ago, Zetasis said:

I'm not against user groups. I think it would be nice and welcomed addition honestly. As for elitism I'm not sure what you mean. If you're talking about members becoming ass hats or something then I could maybe see that. But really a user group shouldn't mean anybody is better the next. I do feel like some members should have a little more say in things but only those with a good reputation(as in likes and donators not post count).

Once the source is out post count will matter more because most posts will be tutorials. user groups are cool and all but i wouldnt want new people instantly assuming i know what i am talking about because my name is some crazy color or something. Why no have 1 user group for donators but have it for every say 20 dollars donated a small star appears around the profile pic or something,  Not anything crazy just a small Thanks for donating.

image.png

Something like this is what I was thinking.

That's a good point, Zeta and one that I've thought about a lot.

We will never reword post count. If you post a lot, fine but reputation is a much better indicator of the quality of member that you are. I don't mind rewarding something shiny for high-rep members but high-rep will change over time so you will have to keep contributing in order to maintain the status.

As for donation groups.. that's... tricky... and can be hard to keep track of. Open to suggestions for change but IMO we don't even need to. 

The title is clear, "donor", why would anybody be mad about this, it's not like they bypass the rules and cannot get banned or anything just because they donated.

As for the shitstorm that was on eclipse with the groups and color names, I have no idea why they got so mad about, I remember that I got added to Team Wheeam or something like that and a few members went ape shit on me, asking why me, and the group leader explained them but even then they were "uhmm I will quit eclipse cuz of this", seriously...

Anyhow, clear user groups like donors, contributors, and other titles obtained fair, are good, motivates users to help, contribute and donate.

As long as there won't be useless user groups like "webtastic", "teampony" or whatever it's all good.

Yeah I have no problem with earned user groups. Keyword: earned. 

Problem with user groups on another site were that they either made no sense as @Dr.House stated or they were given just because someone had friends with administrative powers. 

I see how user groups like: Legend, Forum God, Grand Wizard of All Time and Kewlest Peepz of AGD can create competition, elitism and tension.

But if you want to reward monthly donors over one-time donors I think that's fair. Just have clear rules in place so people know what the requirements are for getting a certain title or user group.

That said, I don't give a gosh darn about user groups and neither should anyone. Just as long as the color of my group isn't ugly.

@jcsnider Then I'm the worst member ever rep to post count wise xD and I  agree that we don't really need change imo

@Dr.House TEAM WEEABOO 4 LYFE xD nah yeah team groups is a bit of a sh** idea tbh as they serve no purpose and just start fights (if you care about minor things like groups and that stuff xD)

Create one from the reputation system as it hits milestones as I said, it's the only way he have of measuring contributions. Total posts means nothing, 90% of your posts could be just compliments or general chat.

You need to reward to donors, what's wrong with a contributor tag? Nothing. Keep it the same for all donor's and keep the minimum donation a fiver, it's not that elitist.