Thank you very much!!!

jcsnider

For the past few months we have set the donation goal to $50.. that was a value that could easily support the hosting and upkeep of the site, cover any required upgrades, and have some to spare just in case. Month after month we have met this goal, and we have doubled it, tripped it, quadrupled it, and reached 5x+ more than we have ever hoped for.

Let's take a quick look at our donations from August.....

c91f19bfddf2fb9409e5ebe792c7c211.png

WTF Guys!?

That's insane.

Joe and I cannot thank you all enough for all of the amazing support you all are giving to this community. When we started AGD we could only dream of the community sustaining itself and you all have gone above and beyond over and over again.

This month we are creating a real challenge, one that may not be met, but this month we are going to strive to break even. The site is currently $334.11 away from not just self sustaining but completely thriving. Once we reach this break even point it will largely be up to the community what future donations go towards. We can host contests/competitions, upgrade our vps for faster service, commission new assets, upgrade the site theme, or anything else we want to do.

I want to thank everyone again really quick for all the help again. We really do appreciate it! Let's have an epic September and enter a new age here at AGD!

Yeah I was also surprised when I saw the donation amounts.

As for what you spend it on, I'm sure I'm not alone when I say; no one minds if you use it for yourselves, as long as you spend it in some way that helps you develop Intersect to where you want it to be. It has great potential and you guys're proven after years of doing it so I'm sure you'll get it all done regardless.

Respect to the donators.

I have a lot of respect for those who are able to donate. Really wish I could and maybe eventually I will be able to. Personal matters in life have kept me from being able to do so. 

As as for what the donations could be used for I have always wondered if server hosting is something that has ever been considered? Anyways, way to go everyone. This community is great and it just keeps getting better. 

Server hosting has absolutely been considered. There are a lot of challenges that need to be tackled first though like making sure you don't give up access to the server control panel, being able to start/stop it and making sure that any custom code you add cannot hurt other servers hosted on the same machine.  I will reach out to my contact at Ownage Hosting and see how they are able to sandbox Minecraft servers with custom mods/code.  In theory we could pull this off, we shall see :P

Server stuff is an absolute pain setting up. Was a "server admin" got a site and holy crap the time spent just making sure one little change did not have us down for any time at all. So while that would be cool would cost more.

i think going towards graphics sound and other things to build a basic pack for the launch of full intersect. 

2 minutes ago, Grizzy said:

I feel like you should set up an option for automatic monthly donations, idk about other people but I would totally sign up plus giving what extra money I can here and there.

We have explored this possibility alongside different user groups for monthly donors, one off donors and our large scale donors different user groups. However, we are worried the different contributor groups idea may contribute towards elitism. We are looking into ways of rewarding donors to the site, nothing mentioned in this thread is off the table at this point. We are open to suggestions on this matter and we as a team need to talk about this more at some point.

Well I didn't look at it like something that would need to known. I don't think anyone deserves any kind of recognition for monthly set up donations, I just figured it would fall under the same category as as being a Contributor? Unless the money compiling up over time give some self entitlement over others.. Then I could see that becoming a problem.

It probably would fall under the same category, I was more referring to potential different user groups like "super contributor" with a different name colour based on the amount donated in total. Perhaps I explained it wrong.

Edit: Just reminding everyone, hypothetical and not guaranteed to happen.

2 hours ago, Kibbelz said:

It probably would fall under the same category, I was more referring to potential different user groups like "super contributor" with a different name colour based on the amount donated in total. Perhaps I explained it wrong.

Edit: Just reminding everyone, hypothetical and not guaranteed to happen.

We demand Noodz!

@or3o Agreed ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

@Kibbelz The name idea reminds me of ewhoring for some reason xD and what kind of elitism would come from a colour? 'your name is blue mine is gold that means you don't deserve to speak to me' edit: I do feel that calling someone a lesser donator kind of undermimes their donation however and makes them seem less valuable to the mods than a larger donator

I, for one, would welcome more colors. Above certain post number maybe, like on eclipse. And I wouldn't mind veteran colors either :P
However as for donation titles and such, I'm not sure about these.

Having contributors as a group already contributes to elitism. It's basically monetised elitism. Someone joins, they have no posts then they donate, boom, they now look like they're important. I'm not naming any names here *cough* Kidlion *cough*

Contributors should be for people who only contribute resources like code, engine features, tutorials and posts, whilst Donators should be their own group.

I'm going to catch some flak from the current contributors who donated. Which would just prove my point.

Also veteran ranks never contributed to elitism, not any that I'd ever come across. It just kinda showed me who was sticking around and gave an idea of how long they'd been on the site.

Edit: Just saw the above post about staying on topic, but this is part of donating/donators/donations- which is what the topic is about, so I'm not off-topic.

@Kem *PREPARE FOR A VERY OPINIONATED RANT* Not to come off as rude but this seems more of a halucagenic (how the hell do you spell that word xD) affect where you see a problem where no one else sees one existing as generally I don't even notice things like someone's name colour or title e.g before checking I thought u were a contributor I agree that donators and contributors being seperate ranks would be a good idea but like the thing with post count people can just post for a high post count or in the contributor case just make a random set of 4x4 tiles then get the rank it would be fairly mundane imo and whilst this may come off as an attack you really shouldn't try to manipulate criticism of your ideologies by saying 'having a differring opinion proves my point' it seems like something a toddler would say in a argument to try and stop the other toddler complaining about how they got one less oreo. *END OF EXTREMELY OPINIONATED RANT YOU SHOULDN'T CARE ABOUT*

Edit: @Kibbelz You mentioned tesco you are now 100x cooler to me xD brought pop tarts from there today (I assume you guys have pop tarts too?)