Dev Blog 06/22/2016 - Combat Spells

Kibbelz

984549685492.png

Combat Spells

Dev Blog June 22nd 2016

News/Updates

There are many parts to this update, mostly just finishing off combat to revolutionise the way the 2D online games interact between PvP and PvE. We suggest you familiarise yourself with the last combat update to catch up with our progress and be on the same page: Previous Combat Update!

The first part of this update is mainly focused on casting spells and the many bonus properties such secondary AoE spells exploding on projectile collision to create some cool effects! To further this we also now have DoT (Damage over Time) and HoT (Heal over Time) spells fully implemented. Spell status effects such as target stun, snare, blind and silence have now also been added alongside the introduction of transformation spells and stealth spells!

The next major part of this update focuses on the mobility of the player. Traditionally over the years, the only form of movement for a player was, well walking and in some instances running. With this update, we're proud to announce the release of dash spells, dashing off in a target direction. Dash spells can be assigned properties to ignore certain solid objects such as blocked tiles, enabling players to dash through walls (if you want to). Dash spells then lead to an easy introduction for slide tiles for cool mazes! 

With the introduction of dash spells, we further expanded on However, with just this we were not satisfied. We decided to also include grapple hook projectiles, which search for a solid tile (occupied via an entity or a blocked tile) and then pull the player in that direction. Projectiles can now be assigned to ignore certain solid states such as resources, entities and blocked tiles. A new attribute called grapple stone has been added to the map editor for more utility based projectiles for scaling up cliffs!

However, even with this new form of movement interaction, we still were not satisfied! So we decided to make a blink spell where you can teleport to your target within range! We suggest keeping the range on this one small so players can't hop over many dungeon walls to NPC's to cut corners!

Content/Show Off

Stealth spell preview:

Spoiler

Dash spell preview

Spoiler

Spell detonation on projectile collision preview:

Spoiler

Blink spell preview:

Spoiler

Whats next?

Introduction of blocking projectiles and basic attacks with shields facing in a target direction!

As always, feel free to post comments and questions below! We are excited to hear your thoughts on our progress!

Absolutely awesome!!! I love the stealth and dashes especially that's something that can really affect and impact 2D MORPG combat. This is a rather awesome update has a lot for users to play around with. Keep the updates coming, guys. Loving it, everything's coming together so nicely. 

Beautiful spells. Are you gonna focus on making normal combat functional, though? Using E to attack with a weapon doesn't seem to work. Rendering damage numbers on hit would be nice, too.

Absolutely. Here in the next few updates you will see combat open up more and more. Adding action messages or numbers/info messages around action to show you critical hits, damage inflicted/taken, etc is also a priority. It will take time but we will make sure we cover all of our bases :P

4 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

Absolutely. Here in the next few updates you will see combat open up more and more. Adding action messages or numbers/info messages around action to show you critical hits, damage inflicted/taken, etc is also a priority. It will take time but we will make sure we cover all of our bases :P

Amazing :-[)

Another suggestion would be to add damage algorithms and such into the config file so people can modify it to scale differently etc.

37 minutes ago, Rory said:

For the spell detonation, I'd love to have an option for it to explode when it reaches it's maximum distance, even if didn't hit an enemy. :)

I agree with Rory here, maybe even once it reaches maximum distance and explodes the explosion is an AOE , so maybe it didn't hit an enemy but the AoE explosion did. Be able to set if explosion causes damage and how far the damage extends to. Your idea gave me an idea, XD.

4 hours ago, Rory said:

For the spell detonation, I'd love to have an option for it to explode when it reaches it's maximum distance, even if didn't hit an enemy. :)

Can do when I get back.

3 hours ago, yeroC said:

I agree with Rory here, maybe even once it reaches maximum distance and explodes the explosion is an AOE , so maybe it didn't hit an enemy but the AoE explosion did. Be able to set if explosion causes damage and how far the damage extends to. Your idea gave me an idea, XD.

On collision it casts another spell all together. So assigning all variables is already implemented.