nahured

Can you do parallax?

Question

7 answers to this question

Parallax what, Scrolling or Mapping?

There's an option for a Parallax Scrolling image in the editor per map, I believe. Mapping would work as well since all you do is cut up tiles into a giant image map and then cut the image up in tiles again if I recall.

Parallax is pretty much using layers of 2d images, and a whole bunch of math, to form depth (or working on 3 dimensions) into a map. It's how you see things differently from different angles. Parallax isn't impossible, but you'd be working with a lot of 3d voodoo and camera angles.

So no, I don't think parallax is available in Intersect because they don't use a rotating camera. But "can" it be done? Absolutely.

**Correct me if I'm wrong on something, I actually was just researching into this, for a hexagon grid map idea I've been working on. My brain is all fuzzy with perlin noise now.

50 minutes ago, varinyc said:

Parallax is pretty much using layers of 2d images, and a whole bunch of math, to form depth (or working on 3 dimensions) into a map. It's how you see things differently from different angles. Parallax isn't impossible, but you'd be working with a lot of 3d voodoo and camera angles.

So no, I don't think parallax is available in Intersect because they don't use a rotating camera. But "can" it be done? Absolutely.

**Correct me if I'm wrong on something, I actually was just researching into this, for a hexagon grid map idea I've been working on. My brain is all fuzzy with perlin noise now.

11 hours ago, Gibier said:

No intersect is only a top-down engine it can't do parallax.

Parallax is possible in 2d, even on a top-down. It's just shifting images on one or more axes in the background. Not sure if Intersect has it because I've never looked for the option to do so.

@jcsnider

2 hours ago, Gibier said:

@panda yeah i knew parallax was possible in 2d. I just thought parallax was only a thing only use for side scroller games.

Also cliffs and such.

Intersect definitely does not contain this feature. You can include images that appear "behind" the map in transparent areas but not multiple and not scrolling to give a parallax effect. Wait for source folks :) and then figure out the logistics behind doing it in the seamlesss system.