[FAQ] Failed to Create Graphics Device

jcsnider

Question

I've seen this error posted twice tonight and several times in the past so I'm finally making an FAQ thread for it.  So you startup your client and you're greeted with a terrible crash and you find the following error:

2017-09-23 06:32:26.599 [Error] Message: Failed to create graphics device!
2017-09-23 06:32:26.608 [Error] Stack Trace:    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DoInitialize()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run(GameRunBehavior runBehavior)
   at Intersect_MonoGameDx.Program.Main() in C:\Users\JC Snider\Desktop\AGD\Intersect-Engine\Intersect Client\ClientMain.cs:line 25
2017-09-23 06:32:26.608 [Error] Time: 9/23/2017 6:32:26 AM

What does it mean?

We use a library called MonoGame for graphic rendering, audio playback, and input (keyboard/mouse) recognition. From a programming standpoint, MonoGame acts as a middleman between our commands and your graphics card. We tell MonoGame what to draw, and what music to play, and it does a lot of the heavy lifting.  Okay, background knowledge out of the way. This error is from within MonoGame, it means that your graphics card in it's current state does not support the features required by our client.

What can you do?

Update your graphic drivers!!!! This might fix it!

If you have Intel HD Graphics & Windows 10:

Someone from the Minecraft community made a driver patch. It's rather sketchy if I do say so myself but it resolved the issue for @KingAether. Antiviruses obviously won't like it, this does patch dll files. I invite you to try it at your own risk:

Intel.HD.Graphics.Driver.Win10.32-bit.&.64-bit.Fix.by.MST.rar  (Password is: iaccepttherisks)

Why does the editor work, but the client doesn't?

Some people will find that the editor works fine but the client does not. This is because MonoGame uses OpenGL or DirectX for graphic rendering. DirectX which the editor uses is a lot more compatible with lower end machines/graphic cards. The client is built so it can run on Linux and Mac machines and must use OpenGL under the hood. OpenGL is much less forgiving so the editor might work for some when the client does not.

Is there a DirectX client?

Not at this time.

What are the /actual/ graphics card requirements?

According to MonoGame your graphics card and drivers must support OpenGl Version 2.1+ & ARB Extensions. That being said we've found a few instances where having these features still didn't work. It's a mystery to us at this time.  If your device supports OpenGL Version 2.1+ & ARB Extensions and the client still doesn't work then this is likely a MonoGame error/mistake and you might find it working in the future.

TLDR?

Update your graphics drivers. If that doesn't work you're out of luck for now. Sorry!!!!

1 answer to this question