Graphics First Time Arting - Naruto

area51

This is my first time ever doing an art and character... I loved Naruto so much and i hope to use Intersect Engine to build a simple Naruto game..

I have no idea how to make the art more 3D look, somehow this is what i made...

Feel free to download this sprite and use it.. i dont need credits, but if u do re-colour to make it more beautiful, please share it to me as i've share it to you...

naruto.png

sidenote: if i were ever to make a naruto based online game using intersect engine, will i face any legal law from naruto official?

edited: I just couldnt stop myself from doing rock lee, another one of my most loved characters in naruto :4_joy:

edited: After reading some guides and comments from the beloved community, i decided to create my own ninja using some examples from naruto and instead of doing a fan made naruto sprite..

Rock Lee:        

rocklee.png  

No More Rock Lee:          Female Version:

upload.png.d2c06a4f6b4b7c0d1f32047516ebae89.png     59c4b9af0d299_monkfemalework.png.bab29da6f8486f10c62df8a01ff3e75b.png

I can't help with the art or provide any tips there.

As far as making a Naruto fan game, you are making a game using content, characters, and property that you do not own or have any rights to. You'd likely be fine as long as your game remained small, didn't make a profit, and didn't appear on their radar but you could receive a nasty cease and desist letter at any point in time followed by legal action if you did not comply.

46 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

I can't help with the art or provide any tips there.

As far as making a Naruto fan game, you are making a game using content, characters, and property that you do not own or have any rights to. You'd likely be fine as long as your game remained small, didn't make a profit, and didn't appear on their radar but you could receive a nasty cease and desist letter at any point in time followed by legal action if you did not comply.

What if i dont name him Naruto? i tweak every words around... will i still be considered using their content/character/property?

9 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

Not a lawyer, none of us are. But I believe if they can find enough similarities to prove there is a considerable likeness between your content and theirs then you'd still be considered 'in the wrong'.

=(

hope someone could actually answer this question..

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/investigation-are-fan-games-legal

That's a good read. Couple excerpts for you:

Even if you alter the name ("perhaps Roads of Rage", Tutty suggests), if Sega can "show that the fan game has used a similar mark for similar/identical goods and that there is confusion," they'll win.

"Effectively what you have in these instances are huge fans of a game being treated the same as other trade mark or copyright infringers despite having the best intentions," Tutty declares, hitting the nail squarely on the head. Aren't these the most loyal, vocal and hardcore customers? Shouldn't publishers be embracing these projects, rather than suppressing them?

Unfortunately, by ignoring these infringements companies would be putting their hard-earned trade marks and copyrights in danger. "If a company was to continually ignore infringements of a trade mark, the protection afforded by the mark is eroded and may render it invalid," Tutty explains. Essentially, if Sega let Streets of Rage Remake live, it'd have a harder time arguing its case if a real, bonafide rip-off of the beat 'em up emerged. The same goes for copyright.

"Once the infringement of IP is ignored it becomes increasingly hard to recover lost ground," Tutty says. It's a not-so-simple case of use it or lose it.

Basically, even if you change elements it wouldn't be hard for them to prove that your project is overly similar to their copyright. Furthermore, even if they like your project, they still need to act and shut you down to protect their copyright status. If they let you live, then their copyright weakens along with the value of their assets.

While it's definitely not what you want to hear, you should try to create your own ideas and content completely so you know for sure that your time is well spent.

6 hours ago, Gravelord said:

Now on to the art:

Your shading colours are far too close together, it looks like everything is done in solid colours. I recommend reading up on colour ramps, or if you're like me and you can't stand reading tutorials, learn by trying to emulate other styles and adding colours to existing colour ramps, though the second takes practice and experimenting whilst the first is a how-to.

thats the thing.. yes im only using solid color because i dono how to mox few colors around... however, ive did a little adjustment by blurring the color, does it look better in your opinion?

Original:                            Modified:

naruto.pngnaruto test.png

17 minutes ago, area51 said:

thats the thing.. yes im only using solid color because i dono how to mox few colors around... however, ive did a little adjustment by blurring the color, does it look better in your opinion?

Original:                            Modified:

naruto.pngnaruto test.png

You're doing a great job, don't get discouraged!!!

I'm no expert, but give this a try, use a little more color extremes..

Look at this example here:

EGVP4EB.png

Do you see how the head has a dark section and a much lighter section?

The lighter section is reflecting where light is hitting it.

Using lighting techniques such as these helps create the illusion the character is not "flat".

This should help explain a few things I did not:

bdeedb033d032fd5e23135b111d82903.jpg

If you have any questions or need any help feel free to PM me!

Your work looks great and I think if you keep practicing there are no limits to what you can do.

Good luck!

Nin Online somehow manages to stay online and they use locations straight from Naruto if I'm not mistaken. They do turn a profit and whether this is from no one reporting them or what I don't know, but I honestly wouldn't risk it. If you are set on making a Naruto game, I'd make it a free to play with no profit model. A passion project if you would.

4 hours ago, area51 said:

Decided to change Rock Lee to this to avoid any legal issues

upload.png

That looks 1000x better. Great job dude! 

Improve and and always improving your craft is more important than anything else. Have you ever tried weapons, armor, or making your own sprites/NPCs? Or is this generally the first thing you've ever done?

Id love to talk to you more if you want to add me on Skype or another form of social media i could help you more in real time! 

Im no expert, but it's always fun to have someone to share you art with and bounce ideas off of!!

anyways tho, keep up he great work!! 

9 hours ago, area51 said:

Decided to change Rock Lee to this to avoid any legal issues

upload.png

lol, i need to say this or else people will start to credit me for something thats not mine... the hair was not done by me, i copied the body + the hair from the program itself.. i only colored the legs, bandage and shoes...

4 hours ago, Grizzy said:

Improve and and always improving your craft is more important than anything else. Have you ever tried weapons, armor, or making your own sprites/NPCs? Or is this generally the first thing you've ever done?

My 1st sprite was solid color on Naruto which i posted up there... My 2nd was RockLee, and i've decided to change it to avoid any legal issues... So yes, this is generally the first sprite i've ever done

7 hours ago, Gravelord said:

I took a closer look and saw that you're attempting to shade the legs. The colours are still too close together (in lightness value, try to get 20+ difference between your colours, so if you have 100, use 80, then 60, this works well in my experience for low colour count spriting) and if you want to hue shade, try to get 15+ difference in the hue value, towards blue/purple for darker and towards yellow for lighter. 

The shading is darker from the outside of the legs with the insides of the legs being the lightest- this implies that the light source is between the legs. Try to think about where the light is coming from, if it's above, does the stomach block the light? What about the legs, are they bent at the knee meaning the light is hitting the knee?

The colours could use less saturation also. The green and orange are too vibrant, my first thought was of a late 80s logo I saw on a VHS tape case once.

I like the bandage wraps, my only feedback would be to introduce a beige or grey to shade the edges of the wraps between the bands.

Took your advice and ive tried to make the color brighter... This time, i added 2 colors on the leg, light green on the left and dark green on the right.. after adding those 2 color, i used zoom blur to blend the 2 colors...

Original:                               Modified:

upload.png.c1047665bcdd3ee5d11cba7a7d731d6a.png.45c91119eb4e0a4daaa686fdc284b44b.png     work.png.dd51564053862e95fcc0077d7b366e05.png