Making server public problem

Vitaly

Question

Hello. I have a problem with making server public. Well as i cant port forward with my main pc because i do not own the internet router. So i tried with my second pc which is actually connected to wifi router that i own. I opened the ports and if i open the server it says UpNP succesful but cant connect to public (reasons may be firewall, security), so i turned off all my firewall and antivirus but still. Im my main pc it doesnt even say that UpNP is success, it says upNP failure. In my second pc it says upNP success but doesnt appear as a public server.

22 answers to this question

19 hours ago, Vitaly said:

Hello. I have a problem with making server public. Well as i cant port forward with my main pc because i do not own the internet router. So i tried with my second pc which is actually connected to wifi router that i own. I opened the ports and if i open the server it says UpNP succesful but cant connect to public (reasons may be firewall, security), so i turned off all my firewall and antivirus but still. Im my main pc it doesnt even say that UpNP is success, it says upNP failure. In my second pc it says upNP success but doesnt appear as a public server.

If it said UPnP was successful but it wasn't accessible publicly, it seems to me that your router is connected to another router somewhere (not necessarily in your home) that has a firewall up, blocking the port. If you live on a campus, your school is almost certainly blocking all ports them deem unnecessary. If you are in a house, your internet provider might be blocking all ports they deem unnecessary.

1 hour ago, Vitaly said:

try on pc who says succeful to check the port while the server is open

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

dont touch the ip and just put your server port and check. remember the server has be running while you check, if you have the server close you will get like the port is closed even if isnt

17 hours ago, Vitaly said:

upnp isn't some voodoo magic, and not all routers support it. Upnp, (universal plug 'n play) is only designed to allow other devices on your network to be able to discover your service or device. You can search up if upnp is supported by your router with your router's model number and make. In addition, You said you disabled your firewall, but did your portforward through the router. Your router has its own firewall, and when you "port forward", it creates a rule on the router's fire wall that says, incoming/outgoing data is allowed on the specified port number to the given device. Also be sure that no other service on your network is using the same ports you're trying to run your server with.

For more information on port forwarding:
https://portforward.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding

For more information on upnp (what it is/does):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Plug_and_Play

38 minutes ago, Crest said:

upnp isn't some voodoo magic, and not all routers support it. Upnp, (universal plug 'n play) is only designed to allow other devices on your network to be able to discover your service or device. You can search up if upnp is supported by your router with your router's model number and make. In addition, You said you disabled your firewall, but did your portforward through the router. Your router has its own firewall, and when you "port forward", it creates a rule on the router's fire wall that says, incoming/outgoing data is allowed on the specified port number to the given device. Also be sure that no other service on your network is using the same ports you're trying to run your server with.

For more information on port forwarding:
https://portforward.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding

For more information on upnp (what it is/does):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Plug_and_Play

Yes, i know. I just tried turning off my router firewall, it still have the same problem.

8 minutes ago, Vitaly said:

Yes, i know. I just tried turning off my router firewall, it still have the same problem.

I don't think that fixes the issue, port forwarding (as well as adding firewall rules) also tells your router how to direct traffic to a port on a given machine. Without it, your router doesn't know which system is hosting services on which port. So, in order to control traffic, port forwarding is necessary regardless of whether or not your router's firewall is disabled.

41 minutes ago, pandacoder said:

If it said UPnP was successful but it wasn't accessible publicly, it seems to me that your router is connected to another router somewhere (not necessarily in your home) that has a firewall up, blocking the port. If you live on a campus, your school is almost certainly blocking all ports them deem unnecessary. If you are in a house, your internet provider might be blocking all ports they deem unnecessary.

Yes thats right. I have 2 pcs. And thats right i do not own my internet, our neighbours do and they just share it to us. So i think all i can do is ask neighbours to port forward and disable router firewall.

Just now, Vitaly said:

Yes thats right. I have 2 pcs. And thats right i do not own my internet, our neighbours do and they just share it to us. So i think all i can do is ask neighbours to port forward and disable router firewall.

Just port forward, they shouldn't outright disable the firewall. After you do this make sure to let us know if this resolved your issue or not.

Just now, pandacoder said:

Just port forward, they shouldn't outright disable the firewall. After you do this make sure to let us know if this resolved your issue or not.

Yea i tried port forwarding. I have 2 pcs, with main pc i cant do anything because i do not own the internet and i dont have access to router admin panel to port forward or even do anything. So i tested with my second PC which is connected to MY OWN wifi router. Okay i opened port and enabled unpn connection. So after that it says unpn was succesful and after that it says it seems that your game is not accessible for public.

Just now, Vitaly said:

Yea i tried port forwarding. I have 2 pcs, with main pc i cant do anything because i do not own the internet and i dont have access to router admin panel to port forward or even do anything. So i tested with my second PC which is connected to MY OWN wifi router. Okay i opened port and enabled unpn connection. So after that it says unpn was succesful and after that it says it seems that your game is not accessible for public.

I meant just ask your neighbors to port forward for you, as opposed to disabling their firewall entirely. Sorry if my wording was misleading.

1 minute ago, pandacoder said:

I meant just ask your neighbors to port forward for you, as opposed to disabling their firewall entirely. Sorry if my wording was misleading.

But yeah im pretty sure after my neighbours will port forward then it will work. We can close this theard.

2 minutes ago, Vitaly said:

youre sure dont want a little help? you said im strange and that things but you can delete me on contact later anyway

i already helped other people. im sure theres not much people with time and patience to do this for you(im not trying to anyone, just want to solve this)

1 minute ago, jesusbleach said:

youre sure dont want a little help? you said im strange and that things but you can delete me on contact later anyway

i already helped other people. im sure theres not much people with time and patience to do this for you(im not trying to anyone, just want to solve this)

Yea i would let you help me but i know we cant fix this any way. I tried yesterday whole day and nothing works. I need access to admin router panel to make this work. And only our neighbours know the username and password.

56 minutes ago, Vitaly said:

Yea i would let you help me but i know we cant fix this any way. I tried yesterday whole day and nothing works. I need access to admin router panel to make this work. And only our neighbours know the username and password.

unless your neighbor is tech savy, i garuntee that the router's login information is whatever the default is. Some router's the default admin login is admin and the password is password. sometimes it's admin as the default user with no password by default. sometimes it's admin and the password is also admin. You can access your router's admin page through your default gateway. For example, my default gateway is 10.0.0.1 on my router, so in my browser i type 10.0.0.1 to get to my router admin page. it will ask you for i username and password. try out a few defaults, you may get lucky. you can get your default gateway by running the "ipconfig /all" command in command prompt or "ifconfig -a" if you're on linux.

Edit: Though if you think  your neighbor would have a problem with you doing that, i recommend asking first. Also, try hard not to play with anything but the port forwarding stuff, especially if you don't know what you're doing. you might accidentally knock out connection to the interwebs

8 hours ago, Vitaly said:

So i tested with my second PC which is connected to MY OWN wifi router. Okay i opened port and enabled unpn connection. So after that it says unpn was succesful and after that it says it seems that your game is not accessible for public.

You don't have the username and password to administrate your neighbors network. That's fine. I'd focus on your own -- this indicates that you are REALLY close. Something within your PC is probably blocking the connection. Have you turned off windows firewall? 

(Your router is connnected straight to the internet right? It doesn't connect to your neighbors or anything?)

8 hours ago, jcsnider said:

You don't have the username and password to administrate your neighbors network. That's fine. I'd focus on your own -- this indicates that you are REALLY close. Something within your PC is probably blocking the connection. Have you turned off windows firewall? 

(Your router is connnected straight to the internet right? It doesn't connect to your neighbors or anything?)

Yes i tried turning off firewalls and antiviruses.

(The thing is i live in a quarter. 1 of my neighbours owns the internet. I do have the modem and we share the internet to 2 or 3 more people. The main internet comes by my neighbour. Im not that good in English so lets just say that 1 of my neighbours owns the internet, the neighbour who owns the internet gives it to me and i share it to 3 more people.)