Need Help [PAID] Seeking Staff for new project soon!

intristin

I'm starting a new project with the Intersect Game Engine and I'm definitely going to need a good pixel artist. I'm going to pretty much need everything done but I would like to start with a basic tile set for the world. grasslands, plains, forests, deserts, jungle, coastlines, mountains, ect. I know there are a lot of free and low cost sets out there already but I want something original so I don't look like every other game. After that is done I'm going to need buildings, signs, lamp posts, bushes, and other odds and ends to decorate the world.  Then land and sea monsters and paperdoll stuff for male and female toons. (*Game will not have classes) And ships.

So after talking to a few artists privately I realized very quickly that the amount of compensation I am offering for the amount of artwork that I need isn't going to cut it. I have decided that for now I will just focus my efforts on a coder and and revisit the idea of a tile artist at a later date. Since the source is not out yet this gig would not start until it is released. With my art budget cleared up my total budget is $100, $50 a month per coder over the next 9 to 11 months. I would like to launch by June of next year when school lets out. That will change to a revenue share of the cash shop once the game is released, split evenly between however many I have on staff. The cash shop will be for cosmetic upgrades, mounts, ships, avatars, ect. Keeping in mind there will never be any kind of "pay to win" items. Any money raised via other methods will also be considered revenue for the purpose of revenue share. I know $50 isn't a lot, but it's what I can afford right now since I also have to cover server costs and you know, play my rent and eat. In addition to the compensation listed above you will also be given credits in the game and on the website. Something nice to have on a resume.

About me and my background

A little about me. Name is Tristin, I'm 40 and live in Brooklyn. I really got into mmos back in 2001 in a game called Dransik. I created and ran the largest fan site for the game (called Dransik Online, later Inside AE) for about 3 years before the game was bought out by a large company and turned to shit. After that I played various mmos over the years but never really got into them. Then I discovered Player Worlds/Mirage and toyed with the idea of running my own game.  I had a game called Empires Online, Later One World with a few dozen players drawn from my Dransik days. But the game was plagued with endless bugs and I kept running into walls do to the limitations of the engine. So i switched engines to FSO. It was better all around and we quickly grew to the most popular FSO based game by a long mile with hundreds of players. So popular in fact the main server was shuttered and we became the official/recommended server/game for the engine. Had a small volunteer staff and we were really pushing out fun content. Doing that was so much fun and I really miss those days. They came to end because we basically became too big and the software just couldn't handle it, Especially the map switching errors that left people stranded on a blank map. So I abandon the project. After that I teamed up with the original developer of Dransik and became a game designer for his new project, Lothgar Online which was very similar to Dransik. That lasted for a short while until I had some real life issues to deal with and I left the company. That was years ago and now I'm ready to get back in the game and try do all over again. 

(EDIT) About the Game

I have opened up a new thread about the game that I will keep updated with my progress. 

In Closing

The art style of the world outside the 3 main Kingdoms will be dark and gloomy. No pretty meadows, no gardens, just utter death and despair. If anyone is interested in joining the team please contact me here or via PM. 

More than enough info but I think it would be really nice if you could provide a sample of the style you are going for.

Towards the end of this month (hopefully) we will be releasing a whole set of tiles and sprites that can be used in any game for free commercial or otherwise. 

This site is run by programmers with programming buddies but very few artists and even fewer that are available for work. It might be worth reaching out to other communities if you dont have any luck here.

Best,
JC

Ok, I updated and added some game and story info. I don't have examples just yet as I'm not really sure what would work well for the story I'm trying to tell. I figured I would sit down and have a chat with the artist and we would figure out the best direction to go together. 8)  So after talking to a few artists privately I realized very quickly that the amount of compensation I am offering for the amount of artwork that I need isn't going to cut it. I have decided that it would be best to follow the advice of @jcsnider for now and revisit the idea of custom graphics later down the road. I have updated the OP and topic to address the change in direction. I will bump this post back up after the source is released as I'm going to need a few code monkeys.