World maps amount

froggy

Question

I'm reaching a point where my main world is reaching big amount of maps, and it's not even halfway done, how is everybody doing this? Do you simply have one Main folder and a big world, or do you split them up and connect the world parts with warps at small junctions? I fear the client may not be able to create previews for 1k+ maps eventually.

6 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, SherwiN said:

No.. the client only preview 9 maps at a time

1 | 2 | 3

4 | 5 | 6

7 | 8 | 9

The 5 is the center map.. and the others are the surrounding..

everytime you switch map, it switch which map it will render, and unload the other one that are not needed

So you can use millions of map as long as it fit the max size of the variable being use as counting for maps

I know that. What i'm wondering is editor related. I have a good PC and it already takes a while to load all the previews for the maps. Is it a good idea to break the world up into groups, or just have everything connected anyway.

17 hours ago, Kibbelz said:

Nightmare currently has 320 maps for its overworld. It runs fine however please do not take a world full size screenshot and put it on the forums, learnt that the hard way aha

I'm at around 470. For the overworld. I tried taking a world screenshot when i was at about 250 a while back, didn't end very well :D

17 hours ago, Agoraphobic said:

I wouldn't stick them all in 1 giant folder. I put mine into subfolders:

I have done just like you =)

On 7/18/2017 at 8:44 AM, jcsnider said:

There might be a point where using the map grid becomes not-so-smart. You might be the furthest along in world design so you tell us when things get unbearable :D 

Perhaps i am! I'll keep going and see what happens.

Guest SherwiN

No.. the client only preview 9 maps at a time

1 | 2 | 3

4 | 5 | 6

7 | 8 | 9

The 5 is the center map.. and the others are the surrounding..

everytime you switch map, it switch which map it will render, and unload the other one that are not needed

So you can use millions of map as long as it fit the max size of the variable being use as counting for maps