Isometric Support

Shilo

Question

This question is directed towards the development team:

When the engine becomes open source, in your opinion, how much of a difficulty would it be to convert to or add support for for isometric? Also, in general terms, what would be the steps to add isometric support?

I only ask because Intersect is the best engine I know of, and there's no really popular isometric mmo engines. I plan on trying "Isogenic Game Engine", but I still feel like this engine is the best option available as a 2d MMO.

4 answers to this question

Speaking from a dev perspective anything is possible. Speaking for the dev team though, none of us care about iso, so there is no switch or no easy way for you.. it would mean reworking multiple rendering systems, maybe tile structures and more. I've never done anything in iso but I can only assume it would require an entire core overhaul.

As for when the source will be out, here is our official statement

Truely sorry that I'm not more help,

JC

3 minutes ago, PhenomenalDitto said:

@Shilo I'm not one of the devs but it shouldn't be much more than changing how movement works and some AI as other than that isometric is just look based.

Sounds fair enough. But I do think one of the hardest tasks would be implementing isometric for the map itself. Just hoping to get comments and ideas on how I might tackle full isometric support.

1 hour ago, jcsnider said:

Speaking from a dev perspective anything is possible. Speaking for the dev team though, none of us care about iso, so there is no switch or no easy way for you.. it would mean reworking multiple rendering systems, maybe tile structures and more. I've never done anything in iso but I can only assume it would require an entire core overhaul.

As for when the source will be out, here is our official statement

Truely sorry that I'm not more help,

JC

Thank you! You are always helpful. I kind of feared that it would require a lot of core changes, unfurtonately I have no experience with isometric either, so I was hoping to get more of an insight! What you say makes sense though.

As far as when the source code is released, I know it will be released when you guys are ready. :) Thanks again!