Any pitfalls to changing map and tile size?

Shilo

Question

Hello,

First, I would like to say that I love this engine and can't wait for it to be open source! Thank you for all your hard work!

I want to change the tile size to 48x48 to mimic the tile size for RPG Maker MV. I may also like to change the map size to either be smaller or bigger.

I have a few questions:

- Is the map and tile size virtually limitless within reason?

- What are the problems with changing the map and tile size?

I saw that the config.xml file has the following:

<Map>

<!--MapBorder Override. 0 for seamless with scrolling that stops on world edges. 1 for non-seamless, and 2 for seamless where the camera knows no boundaries. (Black borders where the world ends)-->

<BorderStyle>0</BorderStyle>

<!--DO NOT TOUCH! These values will resize the maps in the engine and will CORRUPT existing maps. In MOST cases this value should not be changed. It would be wise to consult us before doing so!-->

<MapWidth>32</MapWidth>

<MapHeight>26</MapHeight>

<TileWidth>32</TileWidth>

<TileHeight>32</TileHeight>

</Map>

It makes sense that changing the sizes would corrupt existing maps, which is not an issue for us, since we will creating the maps from scratch after changing the values. I am, however, worried by the severity of the comment itself. It seems like there might be other immediate or near future issues when changing the size. Is there anything I should be worried about?

Thank you for your time!

3 answers to this question

Read through that, it goes over the issues you might face along with performance problems as well.  We didn't pick the default values randomly there was a lot of math involved in the decision making.

Also i might add that changing tile size has rarely been used (and never been used by developers) so it is likely really buggy and those bugs will be prioritized very low compared to others.

8 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

Read through that, it goes over the issues you might face along with performance problems as well.  We didn't pick the default values randomly there was a lot of math involved in the decision making.

Also i might add that changing tile size has rarely been used (and never been used by developers) so it is likely really buggy and those bugs will be prioritized very low compared to others.

Thank you for the quick response and the useful link! Sorry, I didn't find the post when I searched for an answer prior to posting this.

Anytime :)

It's not a terrible idea to have 2-3 topics worded slightly differently about the same thing. Everyone searches for that info but if they use different works they might find this and lead back to that or whatever later. No worries though and good luck with whatever you decide to do!