Hiding my games assets

Lyim

Question

I've looked into the files of other games made with the Intersect Engine and I have seen that many assets in those games, such as tilesets and entity sprites have a different file name than PNG. Making it impossible to view them. I was wondering how I would do that for my game to make it difficult for others to steal them.

4 answers to this question

First off, read this thread in its entirety. 

Since then @SkywardRiver released Life Forge on steam and used real life encryption on his assets. Members here including myself, @Zeepanda, and @Crest gained access to his assets with <1hr of effort using entirely different methods/attacks. 

Even AAA games cannot protect their textures and models from being ripped out of memory.  The whole topic is a waste of time. Truth is your assets will never be truly safe and anyone who needs to steal them to make a game will never amount to more than a thorn in your side. 

Basically you can protect yourself in copyright but this does not help anyone ripping your graphics but you do not allow anyone to use them. The graphics are only a small part of the iceberg, but security is complicated, creating a method that is not cracked is almost impossible as SkywardRiver said, if someone REALLY wants it, there's absolutely nothing you can do to stop them.