Intersect Custom Graphics Fundraiser

jcsnider

51bc78bed2f7b65f8ae44baba15ca746.png  Intersect Custom Graphics Fundraiser  51bc78bed2f7b65f8ae44baba15ca746.png

Hello everyone!  It's no secret that we've been hoping to Greenlight Intersect in the near future. With Steam Direct on the way our timeline has expedited a little bit. Our biggest concern at this time is gathering new resources to distribute with Intersect by default. Macks graphics (that we currently use) are great, but they draw too many similarities to RPG Makers VX graphics for us to be comfortable releasing alongside the engine moving forward. Joe and I have commissioned our own @Murdoc and @Zetasis to help develop this new graphics pack.

These graphics are drawing inspiration from both Macks graphics and the free assets created by @George and @QuoteFox. (See here and here)  Our new graphics will have a retro feel. We will also have as much or more content than the set we are currently distributing with Intersect.

So without further ado let's show you what we've got so far :D

Tilesets

Macks does a very good job of organizing graphics and we want users using Macks to have the option to upgrade to our custom set when it is complete. As such we are following their template. An example can be seen below. Macks are on the left.. and @Murdocs are on the right :D

tilea3.png  ->   7abaf268ef7bbc4a568c45052db4dc84.png

Characters

@Zetasis has primarily been working on game characters, creatures, and paperdolls thus far. The character base is below :)

cf91f25a6ac60056127b4c40b1566066.png

Along with the base he has already created dozens of different hair styles, eye colors, clothing options and more.

We will include tons of pre-built characters to be used in your game but all of these generation components will also be available to create your own entities. When this graphic set is released we will also provide you all with a character creation tool (WIP screenshot below) that will allow you to build your own character and customize each layer with different color hues and more :D 

b86d633ae04e2ad0045eb9f740db7edb.png

Items

@Zetasis has also found and created several item and spell icons that we will use in this graphic set. 

c9fb3ad838dbad9966fd02c80c5da2b5.png32c66367cc8ca56b382bf60e1decef69.png

Bringing It All Together

b8997029c9f7f400f0de72f66b7a4d02.png

Quick map done by @Kibbelz

It is our goal to make sure users can create beautiful games using this graphic set. These graphics will be available to our entire community free of charge and will not be restricted to any specific engine. Although we don't have any examples yet, this will be a complete set of graphics with paperdolls, animations, resources, and much much more.

Fundraising

Joe and I are hoping to raise $600.  @Murdoc and @Zetasis have done an amazing job so far and we want to compensate them for their work. We are launching a new donation goal for this fundraiser that will run through March. All proceeds will go to @Murdoc and @Zetasis. They are doing us a huge favor, so I challenge you all to go above and beyond our goal! If we earn more than $600 they will receive the excess as a tip :D

Please click the icon below and support our fundraiser! Donations made will count towards the new donation tiers and perks we just announced!

51bc78bed2f7b65f8ae44baba15ca746.png

We will be posting progress updates here as we have them. As always please feel free to comment and ask questions below! Thanks so much everyone!

Love how your always thinking ahead, JC. That's what separates our community from others. 

You could've just commissioned a pixel artist to make a whole new tile set and graphics that nobodies familiar with. Instead, you guys replicate a tile set we are all extremely familiar with, AND go above and beyond and create a character creation tool that will create even more options! Well done!

Today is payday<3 I'm going to show a little love soon, you guys deserve it! (INCLUDING murdoc, Zetasis, and QuoteFox)!!

The tile set looks freaking awesome. It's like a clash of macks and time fantasy. 

Not much to say, I love the work that you guys are doing. Every day show us more that this will be a really professional program, to the level of Rpg Maker or something similar.

God job 8)

PS: It's very tender the sprite with the donate poster :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Damian666 said:

not restricted to any engine you say, but what about outside usage?

I would add a license for that mate :P

else the internet runs with it...

This is more about making sure that we have a complete set of graphics that we know for sure are free and legal graphics to use. Other people will use these graphics outside of the community whether we want them to or not. Frankly I don't care.. if RPG Maker folks like our graphics than I think they should use them provided they credit Murdoc, Zeta, George, QuoteFox, and AGD.

Asking for anything more than credit would just be limiting and honestly it's not like we have the resources to go after anyone that would break our license anyways.

Jc but when you are on intersect vx ace with that $100,000,000 mansion you are gonna wanna sue people for that extra money to build the gold hot tub :P nah but seriously you should make it CC3.0 just for the artists sake and to indirectly get the word out about intersect.

3 hours ago, jcsnider said:

This is more about making sure that we have a complete set of graphics that we know for sure are free and legal graphics to use. Other people will use these graphics outside of the community whether we want them to or not. Frankly I don't care.. if RPG Maker folks like our graphics than I think they should use them provided they credit Murdoc, Zeta, George, QuoteFox, and AGD.

Asking for anything more than credit would just be limiting and honestly it's not like we have the resources to go after anyone that would break our license anyways.

What's the license that Intersect uses?

The graphics will likely be under a different license entirely. I am not familiar with the creative commons licenses but it would be something so people are free to use the graphics or modify them but not resell them as they should be a free resource.

26 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

The graphics will likely be under a different license entirely. I am not familiar with the creative commons licenses but it would be something so people are free to use the graphics or modify them but not resell them as they should be a free resource.

CC3.0 is pretty close but doesn't have the reselling clause in it, at least not mentioned in the "human readable" thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though these out-of-the-box graphics are useless to my game due to its nature ((Mine takes place in a world full of 'tiny creatures' with the environments being much larger than the player)), I donated anyway because I see all the hard work done so far and am impressed. Can see many people using them in their projects. Also simply wanted to donate to the engine in general.

Thank you for making this product free. I'll donate as much and as often as I can. 

• 1 month later...

I got a question regarding "Macks" tilesets that people have been using for ages now. Technically they are not in any RTP for any of the RPG makers in the series, but they do look in some ways edits. Are these actually illegal to use in anything outside of RPG maker? I never thought about this untill now....

19 minutes ago, Daxterxx said:

I got a question regarding "Macks" tilesets that people have been using for ages now. Technically they are not in any RTP for any of the RPG makers in the series, but they do look in some ways edits. Are these actually illegal to use in anything outside of RPG maker? I never thought about this untill now....

That was our question. It's nearly impossible to tell. Enterbrain wouldn't comment and Macks site is offline for good. 

We don't know the answer which is why we are playing it safe and having these made. 

Ill update this thread soon we actually have 3 more tilesets and other misc graphics to show off. :). 

Good read but doesn't help calm my fears. There are a ton of similarities between Macks and RMVX RTP -- even if Mack licensed his graphics as free for commercial use outside RPG Maker I think a good portion are edits as opposed to completely custom material. Before I work to get us a ton of publicity I want there to be no question in the matter over whether or not Enterbrain has any rights over the assets we're using.

Well the example I see from Murdoc, looks fantastic, even if its just a pixleated version of Macks, witch looks to be a edited version of certain RTP stuff. But the question is like ok, where does Enterbrain draw the line from custom stuff. For example I just purchased a license from a Celianna who is a graphics artist and she published a beautiful tileset selection to the actual rpg maker resource store, and her license says it can used in "Note: can be used non-commercially or commercially in any game engine!" - https://pixanna.nl/products/ancient-dungeons-base-pack/

She is even clear with all of here work, here is another quote from another pack she has created --

"Can only be used in RPG Maker VX and RPG Maker VX Ace, and in NO other game engine. Can not be redistributed or sold as-is. Can be edited however you want. Edits cannot be redistributed. Only for non-commercial usage."

11 minutes ago, Daxterxx said:

But the question is like ok, where does Enterbrain draw the line from custom stuff.

I don't know, nor do I have anyone I know to ask, nor would I believe them if I did.  That is why we're doing this.

The style we're going for is a lot more retro (more pixelated). We're aiming for Macks format so we can use them in place of existing Macks games/worlds. Outside of that we just like the organization Mack had. Regardless, at the end of the day we want legal, free graphics available for all (using Intersect or otherwise) commercially or not. There should be no question at the end of the day that Enterbrain has no rights to these :) 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Teppy said:

Donated some and plan to donate some more later! This is awesome, thanks everyone for all the hard work :) <3 Happy Easter!

Happy Easter man, and thank you as always for the donation! Sometime soon we can all have some royalty free graphics 8)

44407ec8196e3fbb862630615269a7a4.png612e2e501deea865828d4dc116948538.png56635a1f114cbf0496e250018732db8b.png ef5a6b422acd273426a3c4747756a4b7.png d7b6a17764620684589458785bfccfcb.png

So heres a preview of the sprites I have created for Intersect. Keep in mind that every clothing and armor piece you see here is included as paperdolls and can also be used in the character generator that is being developed. Just wanted to let everyone know how it has been going so far.

Yes, these are the sprites we we're going to use in nightmare but we also decided to release them to the community with Intersect.

Edit: Also, I forgot to put a few up as well such as a mouse and female hair styles and few other things lol.