Will be possible to create Huge Seamless Maps?

Pigot

Question

Hey everyone! :)

I'm new in the community, but I've already been very interested in the project. I saw in the main post that it will be possible to create "Seamless Maps". And that's a big feature!! But my question is: Will the server support a Huge Seamless Map with no issues like in MMORPGs? It will be possible?

Thanks! Have a good weekend everyone!!

10 answers to this question

Yes you can make a seemless world map.  It is possible already.

What they are talking about 9 maps. is the maps are connected threw a map grid after which they will appear to be seemless.

So If you connected like 100 maps then you could walk on all 100 maps with no load screen. Since the engine is loading and unloading maps while you move at 9 at a time(which isnt really that noticable I do get a small lag spike here and there on my project when walking onto a new map but only last for like 1/10 of a sec)

First off the big MMOs do have issues, which is why they have a lot of servers.

And second, maps created adjacent to one another are seamless. You have to create separate maps in the menu on the right for them to not be seamless.

36 minutes ago, SPQR Panda said:

First off the big MMOs do have issues, which is why they have a lot of servers.

And second, maps created adjacent to one another are seamless. You have to create separate maps in the menu on the right for them to not be seamless.

Yep, that's true. But I just wanted to know if it will be possible to create a mmo map, Thanks! :)

Yes you can create a large seamless world with Interesect.

What he means by the server/client loading 9 maps is that the 9 maps are loaded, in total, at one time.

Example:

o = Map you are on

X = Maps you are not on

XXX

XoX

XXX

The reason it is like this is so that no matter what the world will appear seamless. Meaning there are no visible transitions when switching maps.

Question related to this one. Is there a way to connect a seamless map on either side? Basically if you moved left in the same direction you would basically end up right where you started? Would be nice for boats to sail around the world once someone figures out how to add them. 

While I agree that would be amazing it would be insanely difficult to accomplish with the way seamless maps have been designed. We use a lot of caching of the world in a grid so save on as much processing power as possible.. all of that would have to be reworked for that functionality.

When we open up the source here soon someone brave might be able to attempt that for you :) 

(With the current system you could line the edges of the end of your world with teleports to the other side of the world giving the correct transition. It just wouldn't appear seamless in that case.)