Intersect Game Server Hosting

Lyokomzm

Hello Everyone!

My name is Michael, and I have been an IRL friend of jcsnider since we were in computer class together in high school (wow that was like 5 years ago now!). Back then I remember helping test small features on his previous project Eclipse Origin. I now work for a game server hosting company (mostly Minecraft Servers), Ownage Hosting. (I didn't choose the name, the original owner did, and my protests to change it have gone widely unanswered.) JC actually get's his VPS (which I believe run this site) from us! Around 6 months ago or so JC and I were discussing Intersect, and we came up with the idea of my company hosting game servers that are compatible with Intersect at launch. Recently we have discussed it more and are working together to find the best ways to implement this. JC has started testing with TCAdmin to make everything control panel friendly, and I am looking over what machine would be best for the workload.

So now for the whole point of this story, we were hoping to get some feedback on this idea from you all. Is there any interest in hosting your Intersect game servers with us? Our goal is to have the control panel side be very hassle free, so you can instead just focus on building your game! Another huge plus is we will be working with the developer, which can lead to quicker bug fixes, better optimization, and maybe even new features!

If there is interest, what would you like to see? Pricing wise we want to keep everything affordable for you all, and I am thinking that at launch we will give everyone here a discount. Also if we can get an idea of just how many people are interested, we can gauge just how quickly we want to get everything launched and ready for you all!

logo.png

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to tack on a little extra information. What we're hoping to accomplish is a service (paid monthly) in which Michael's company could host your Intersect games for you. This service would grant you access to a admin panel in your browser to completely control your Intersect server. (Type in commands, change config, shut it down/reboot, etc)

The perks to a service like this is that it you would not be required to deal with setting up or managing a windows or linux server. Because of that, you would not have to worry about sever security, keeping a vps up to date, and they would take care of port forwarding for you. You could count on them for always keeping your server online, and their internet speeds top hosting out of your house 10 fold. 

You could design your games & bring people online with no setup involved. If your interested let us know ^^

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I'm not sure if I count but I would realistically host 1-2 games myself at all times.

Also, off topic, but we are on the verge of making history. If we could get George in here we'd have 4 Kentuckians in 1 thread for the first time ever. (Just sayin)

Any input on price? We want to keep it as low as we can for you all, but obviously can't take a loss on it ;)

Does $7 per Gb or Ram work? Disk space would be unlimited within reason (if you have over 100Gb's of logs we will probably ask they get deleted) and the cpu's are overkill Xeons. 

logo.png

There would probably be some higher tier plans, for when you need more than 1Gb of RAM. Currently I am thinking $10 a month for a server with 2Gb of ram, then $13 for 3gb, and $15 for 4Gb. And if for some reason someone manages to need more than that we can always do more. All of the plans come with the (within reason) unlimited disk space, and cpu resources typically scale with available RAM. Oh and bandwidth shouldn't ever be a problem, and the data center's DDOS protection should be more than enough!

logo.png

Is hosting more expensive in the us than here in europe? 15$ for a 4gb ram vps is far from a good deal over here.

I currently pay a little less than 10$ for a 6gb ram KVM-VPS with a decent host in germany.

11 minutes ago, eins said:

Is hosting more expensive in the us than here in europe? 15$ for a 4gb ram vps is far from a good deal over here.

I currently pay a little less than 10$ for a 6gb ram KVM-VPS with a decent host in germany.

Intersect services as a whole are overpriced in the US.

Currently Arcwyre is running off of a 2GB ram crappy Windows Server and it's $170+, and that's the cheap one. I know it's because its Microsoft but still.

Just now, NotAzizele said:

Currently Arcwyre is running off of a 2GB ram crappy Windows Server and it's $170+, and that's the cheap one. I know it's because its Microsoft but still.

Yeah... that's totally because of Microsoft. OVH has Windows VPSes for less than $30 with a similar amount of memory, and Linux VPSes are even cheaper.

The cheapest decent host I've used is based in Italy, I'll have to go look up just how much I'm paying per month and what I'm getting.

5 minutes ago, NotAzizele said:

What-the-hell?

Either you're completely getting ripped off or you have coosen a very bad plan.

/edit:

Thinking about it, probably both... and jeah, OVH.com has a 20$ Windows VPS that should suit your needs.

5 minutes ago, SPQR Panda said:

Yeah... that's totally because of Microsoft. OVH has Windows VPSes for less than $30 with a similar amount of memory, and Linux VPSes are even cheaper.

The cheapest decent host I've used is based in Italy, I'll have to go look up just how much I'm paying per month and what I'm getting.

Haha yeah, gotta love branding.

2 minutes ago, eins said:

What-the-hell?

Either you're completely getting ripped off or you have coosen a very bad plan.

Haha, well technically it's them getting ripped off. The only reason I'm using it is because when you register a new account they give you $200 in free credit and I have 3 separate cards I can use so thats 3-4 free months of hosting lmao.

1 hour ago, eins said:

From my experience, yes hosting is a bit more expensive in the US. Part of it is just that there is a big demand and not enough Datacenters (OVH is currently building an East Coast and a West Coast though!!) and another part of the cost comes from our broadband infrastructure being underdeveloped in large sections of the US.