How do you run the server so others can join?

DaScribe

Question

11 answers to this question

I'm going to try this in the morning.  Thanks for the help guys.

BTW, the evolution version had like an admin system built in to the server that allowed the owner to grant people different permissions.  Stuff like Level maker, etc.  Does this version have any similar features?

18 minutes ago, DaScribe said:

I'm going to try this in the morning.  Thanks for the help guys.

BTW, the evolution version had like an admin system built in to the server that allowed the owner to grant people different permissions.  Stuff like Level maker, etc.  Does this version have any similar features?

You can make someone an Admin in the server by giving their account power. just type help and then you can see the list of available commands. There's 2 powers atm, if you set the poweracc to 1 the people you give power will be admin but can't use the Editor (for like Game Master / Monitor Admin) but if you set the poweracc to 2 that means you gave him access to use Editor to help you design your game (Developer). Sorry if my english bad :D 

Ok,

So I think I set up the router correctly. 

And I changed the port number so that the client, server, and my router have the same thing.

But now the client does not connect to the server and when I go to this like it does not show anything either.

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

So here is my question.

If I'm using a router, where am I supposed to put the internal ip?

If I don't put the external ip in the client, it would never find my computer.

Am I supposed to both? and if so, what's the syntax on that?

BTW I'm using a Verizon router for fios.  Not sure whether or not that has any baring on this.

:'(

Also, does the game name have any baring?

Unlike the cisco router in the demo, there was no where to label the connection on the router that I could see.

Edited by DaScribe
added observation

Verizon Fios is fine, you can still port forward. Canyouseeme.org displays nothing meaning your ports arent really opened. Here's a simple little guide:

1. Hit the Windows key(if on Windows) and type "run" and hit enter

2. In the navigation bar type "CMD", when the command prompt comes up, type ipconfig

3. It will show you tons of data regarding your IP address, you just want your internal ip (for me it's usually 198.1.1.###)

4. Go into your router settings and make sure your forwarding the right ports that are set in your games config. Believe it's 4000 by default? Make sure the ip you provide to port forward is ONLY your internal. 

5. Update your config with your EXTERNAL IP address.

6. You should be all set! If you need additional help, I'd be willing to use TeamViewer to use remote access and I can try to do it for you. 

Ok,

I had to walk away from this to get fresh eyes.

It worked :)

The mistake I made was selecting the PC I'm using for the server instead of just typing in the internal ip.

I'm not sure why that was an issue because they were the ones who put it on a selection list, but now I know.  lol

Thanks for your help. 

Phase 2 will be to set up my helper.

I'll let you know how that one goes.

OK,

Switching the permissions was pretty easy.

I went to the server

typed in help

it listed the commands

I used power to change the permission.

If you put a space after a command and then /? it will tell you how to use the command.

I'm not sure what the difference is between power account and power though.

Power gives just one character the access, whereas power account sets the whole account access. I use Orion personally, so not sure if intersect currently only has one character per account, if so I believe they will make it 3 if it's not already.