Linked Maps

Gallus

Question

Going off of this post:

I intend my game to be open-world meaning, no loading screens, no map switching, except for entering dungeons, and possible houses and some other small things. My question is, what is the most maps you have had linked, and have you had any issues? And, if anyone has had an issue with having a ton of linked maps, please share for my reference and learning. 

Thank you!

3 answers to this question

Guest SherwiN

I still didn't use Intersect yet and have not seen the seamless map of the engine but Genusis once helped me render the seamless map and I create the system which connect them (I just don't know how to render it)

The best way to do a seamless map is, you only load a cache of the maps that is linked, so when a player move a map, the loaded cache will be replaced by the one that is needed.. If the engine you used is like this, or better than this, it won't have problem even if you connect all 1000000++ maps since the engine load only what's needed not load everything

3 hours ago, jcsnider said:

Intersect should be able to handle thousands of maps linked in an area no problem. 

Entities are globally handled and can be interacted with/fought across map boundaries. 

Edit: Removing posts regarding Eclipse just because they would likely confuse readers without that background. 

This is exactly what I wanted to hear! I am in love this this engine!