Is Intersect Ready to be a MMO?

Ambard

Question

I have a following and they all want to know when I am going to release a new version of Ambardia. I have dedicated players who are still playing right now. I shut down Ambardia for a while but after receiving hundreds of e mails and requests I opened it back up to the most stable version of Robins EO version that I had. My question is... At what point should I try and launch an Ambardia Intersect version? Should I just map and add assets for a while or will Intersect Beta 2.0 be something I could launch an alpha with? If Intersect is in Beta then of course our games have to be beta as well. Can we follow the path of Intersect along with our game beta or should we wait till a later version? I don't want to spend hundreds of hours of my time and my teams time if we end up with an engine that turns into a dead end. I am watching my server right now and players are talking about other games they hate and why they like Ambardia. I'm anxious to show them the power of Intersect.

Give me some feed back and thoughts. I really want to show a lot of people what this community is about.

4 answers to this question

No. Probably not. But we encourage you to give it a try. Each release fixes bugs brought on by the previous one, however, we really won't know if we are ready for the traffic of a real game until someone takes the plunge and gets the traffic a real game would.

I don't think Beta 1 is stable enough. Beta 2 will be better. I'd say by the time we get to Release Candidate 1 you should be good enough to go live.

PS: I personally keep up to games that are online and active. If they have problems they receive priority support as they are generally finding the most bugs and have the members needed to recreate and help fix them.

Edit: @MCADAMS, experience rates are under the class editor. Combat formulas will be available for edit in a .xml file in beta 2 :D 

I don't think it would be possible to make a meaningful, progressively sound and fulfilling game with Intersect atm. The base systems are very good, but I don't think without having access to things like combat formulas or experience rates you can make a wholesome game that you yourself understand fully. Things like balance and progression are hard to control at the moment due to not knowing how certain systems work and not being able to really learn about them without asking JC/Kibz or trial and error. 

That being said, I think that with the source Intersect will probably be one of if not the best bases we've had for free 2D MMO making in years. Right now you could make something good, with the source you could make something great.