Why Client+Editor separated ?

therehere3

Question

Hello there!

I've been gone for a long time now from this 2D ORPG development and I think I want to start it back up again!

I noticed that Orion and even Intersect now have separate client and editor now??

I would like to understand why you designed it this way?

I absolutely LOVED the fact that you could edit the map, add npcs, etc, all while PLAYING THE GAME! :D

Now that is not possible :(

You would have to open another executable(editor) and edit the stuff then save it.

6 answers to this question

Much more than just security. It also makes both code bases smaller and easier to deal with. The client may very likely be ported to other operating systems and platforms one day where the editing features won't be. There are other reasons to that are currently escaping me. Someone could in theory merge them again once the source is out. I wouldn't recommend it though.

12 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

Much more than just security. It also makes both code bases smaller and easier to deal with. The client may very likely be ported to other operating systems and platforms one day where the editing features won't be. There are other reasons to that are currently escaping me. Someone could in theory merge them again once the source is out. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Yeah okay, thanks for the information! I do see it would be a little more secure to separate them so no one even have the editor to even attempt to hack that.

Also, just curious... So is it safe for me to develop everything in my game using Intersect and it will be 100% okay to still be usable/compatible with the later versions of Intersect and even when the source code comes out??

I don't want to have a TON of the game done, and not able to update to later version or update to the open source :'(