Dev Blog 11/12/2016 - Quest Editor Complete!

jcsnider

984549685492.png

Quest Editor Complete!

November 12th 2016

News/Updates

Don't fret, we are still making progress around here! Let me take a quick moment to introduce our beast of a quest editor :)

50e99639a94b7a352295527a1a87bf32.png

I know there will be a few questions so let me try to cover what everything does briefly.

Each player will have access to a quest log. The quest log will show all active quests.  If the "Show in quest log before accepting quest?" box is checked then quests will show in the quest log before they have been offered to the player or accepted. If players view the quest before they have it it will show the "Before Offer Description" which you can use to tell players where to start the quest.

Similarly you can keep quests in the log after they have been completed (or not) using the "Show quest in quest log after completing quest?" checkbox. How the quest log functions is entirely up to you.

The quest actions are actual events. These events will run at the start and end of the quest. You can use those events to give rewards, show dialog, warp the player and more. Here is my Quest Start event:

774a77ac57c37c911beac61c62754918.png

Quest requirements have a ton of options from checking event switches to time of day:

0be66e5484c130d2460ce5685d5da4ac.png

There are only 3 kinds of quest tasks but with the powerful event system that should be all you need.

c5bfdefdfa44f5677e0f12023504b09e.png43581d84b4111fff36977e647e309d80.pnge0b43ff9d03ca00a35152065f5319746.png

Whats next?

For one, we gotta make events give quests to players, add the quest log, and make quests work in game.

Make sure to check out the Intersect Road Map as for what features we have next planned in line! We will be working for the next several days on performance improvements, and many many bug fixes.

As always, feel free to post comments and questions below! We are excited to hear your thoughts on our progress!

3 hours ago, Haath said:

Can you elaborate a bit more on how "Event Driven" quest tasks will work?

I believe that you'll need an event to trigger the completion status of that particular task, how you handle this is completely up to you and your creativity with events.. So for example you could have it trigger upon discovering an area, talking to an NPC, solving a complex puzzle or just from standing around a certain spot at a certain time. Heck, you could probably make people watch a cutscene played out entirely by events before triggering the completion state if you want to go all-out. :) Whatever you make your event do, just slap the "Complete Quest Task" command in your event at the end and you'll have completed the objective for that quest.

Just a typo I noticed: In quest editor, progression options, it says "Quest repeatble" instead of "repeatable" :)
But this looks great! I can't wait until the next version is out! Keep up the good work guys

4 minutes ago, Vus said:

Just a typo I noticed: In quest editor, progression options, it says "Quest repeatble" instead of "repeatable" :)
But this looks great! I can't wait until the next version is out! Keep up the good work guys

That was probably me with my inability to spell when i designed the original quest editor.

1 hour ago, yeroC said:

This is awesome. What gets me especially is you can "Time of Day" so you could make dailies, essentially, yeah? Love it, keep up the great work!

Well, more like night quests and day quests, dailies would still need some source code tinkering, like player switch that the server resets for everyone once a day

You -could- do daily quests with some fairly simple trigger-y nonsense of player and global variables.. (Quest available if player variable < global variable, at end of quest raise player variable to global variable, at midnight raise global variable by one). Not very neat if you have to do it for every single daily quest.. But it works if you're not up for editing the source.